Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my Trailhawk on April 2. Despite search for cars in stock or in transit at all dealerships within 50 miles, I could not find a Trailhawk with a factory-installed trailer hitch. (I later learned that NO Trailhawk's were manufactured with a hitch until. . .maybe July.) The hitch was a $495 option, offered with all the Renegade literature. My salesman "assured" me that we could order a hitch and have it installed quickly. I ordered the hitch on April 7 and pre-paid $296, for the hitch alone. Over the next three months, my dealership would inform me that all parts were in. However when I arrived, I would be told that "No, we're still waiting for. . .bezel, wiring, bolts., etc. In June, the service manager told me that FCA had just updated their instructions to require a new bumper (with a bezel cut-out) because it was too difficult for technicians to properly do the cut out on the factory bumper to add the bezel surrounding the hitch.
Each time I communicated with the dealership, I told the I expected to pay near the $495 that the factory hitch I wanted (and wasn't available upon purchase).
Finally, this week all the parts were in, including the new bumper.
The entire package included: hitch, bezel, fascia (new outer bumper) wiring kit, bolts, rivet. I was given a credit of $100 for "core return," which I think means the old outer bumper.
Labor came to $350, which, according to the service manager was discounted. Labor included threading the new wiring from the front plug to the rear and removing the old bumper and replacing it with the new one with the cut-out for the plastic hitch bezel.
Total cost: $1021.91. I felt I had been ripped off and paid it under protest. The dealer's service manager, while "sympathetic to my long wait and misinformation" told me to "take it up with Jeep."

Have others had a similar experience with their dealership?

Has anyone had success complaining directly to Jeep, resulting in a rebate?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don't know. Installed mine myself. I would have refused to pay for the new fascia. That's where your cost most likely skyrocketed. Many of us on the forum have made that "difficult" cut-out in the bumper cover ourselves. I would hope a trained technician could handle it. $350 for labor seems about right though. It took me all day.

·
Registered
471 Posts
told me that FCA had just updated their instructions to require a new bumper (with a bezel cut-out) because it was too difficult for technicians to properly do the cut out on the factory bumper to add the bezel surrounding the hitch.
I don't know how difficult it would be for a Certified Trained Jeep Technician to cut a hole in the bumper, but there are multiple other forum members that have added the tow on themselves & had no issues cutting the hole...... Maybe they can train the Jeep Technicians so new bumpers don't need to be ordered.... (nothing against the Techs, aimed at the Dealership) Do any of you that have done your own bumpers know of a reason the new bumper would be needed?

·
Registered
201 Posts
$1021.91 for a TOW HITCH? I think you got ripped off. That can't be the correct price. I would definitely take it up with Jeep. Maybe someone else in this forum who has added the tow hitch package can chime in with their experience. But if I was told that price, id just go down to Uhaul and have them install an under the bumper tow hitch for $350.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, but I didn't want the hitch installed under the bumper--too low.
I think Jeep/FCA didn't trust their dealer's technicians to get the cut-out correct so they now recommend (require??) installing a hitch with the new bumper fascia with the cut-out done by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The hole for the trim is not difficult. The dozen small slots that must be cut out for the tabs that hold it in place require extremely careful templating. Unfortunately in today's age, careful seems to equal difficult. Somebody's bumper fascia probably got destroyed during a dealer install and caused Jeep to make that decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i had it thrown in the deal when i bought the car. i went through the same thing, parts took months to arrive. they claimed it was way more expensive than they anticipated once they got the parts, but they honored the original deal and did it all free of charge. sounds to me like your dealership screwed you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am still waiting for the dealer to locate a hitch for installation in my TH. I have two quotes, one for $1000, another dealer for $700. The dealer told me the receiver was not available about a month ago. I have alot of dealers in the area of Central Florida. I messaged Jeepcares and they responded today that the receiver package is available. I just emailed my dealer for confirmation. FCA does not have their act together at all.
I do not want to lose clearance with an aftermarket product.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I know there are a lot of folks that feel a self install is overwhelming, but many of us have did this now. With some very basic tools, a few hours and patience, it isn't bad at all. The instructions & support from Renegade Ready are phenomenal. I guarantee you will treat your Jeep with more care than a stranger whom has never installed one and a dealer that is soaking you for all they can. It is labor intensive in only time involved and that time can run $125 an hour plus at the dealer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here's a pic of mine part way through the process. This is with the Renegade Ready kit and instructions. It all went very well.
(Any tips on the pics uploading sideways? Will look for an answer here, but have work to do.)

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Although I got my hitch receiver included in the deal I made for free, it took them 3 fascias, four rear well side molding, 2 hitch receiver molding, dozen of clips, and two months just to install it right. Their lame excuse was it was the first time doing it and mistake happens.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm having the same issue still, it's nearly impossible to find a TH with the tow package installed. I know I can do it myself, but I expect to be out of state for work and living in a hotel for up to 7 more months and don't really have the time to do the install myself when/if I do get home. Plus winter is coming. I have a dealer that says they will do the install, but I told them I want to know the cost up front because I'm not paying extra for a package that costs $395 to order. With the renegade ready version, plus wiring harness, it's more expensive to go that route as well.

Although I got my hitch receiver included in the deal I made for free, it took them 3 fascias, four rear well side molding, 2 hitch receiver molding, dozen of clips, and two months just to install it right. Their lame excuse was it was the first time doing it and mistake happens.

Guess you get what you pay for, if they were doing it for free, they may have taken their time and not quality work, but it is costing them to make the mistakes.

I just picked up my new Trailhawk last night. Was thinking of the undermount hitch. Any thoughts on those?

Only real downside I know of is the departure angle reduction. I'm not sure if you lose a few classes on the undermount hitch as well. I haven't looked into them that much.

·
Registered
191 Posts
At the lowest point with the undermount, you will have only 8" of clearance with a TH and 7" with a non TH. I did not want to lose that much clearance. I also didn't want to tow my small boat trailer that low as it will bottom out too much.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just picked up my new Trailhawk last night. Was thinking of the undermount hitch. Any thoughts on those?
Depends on what you want to tow. I have the undermount hitch from RenegadeReady and did the install myself, plus installed the wiring kit. I am using it for a bike rack and also for a cargo box (Thule 665C). This is on a Latitude which is shorter by an inch than your Trailhawk. Works great for my purposes and the quality of the hitch is very good. To install on the Latitude I had to drill two access holes into the frame to fish the bolts through, but on the Trailhawk this step is not necessary, making it super easy (I would think) since you just bolt it right on and don't have to drill any holes.

I recommend calling Brian at RenegadeReady and telling him what you plan to tow and he will give you the tradeoffs.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts