Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a '16 Renegade Sport with the 2.4L Tigershark engine in Granite Crystal Metallic color.

It currently has the base black wheels which I might upgrade when the time comes for new tires if not sooner. I also want to install the roof rails.

What are some good mods I can make to this Jeep? (functional or style)

Are there any must dos according to the forum?

What is the breaking period? I was thinking of just never redlining it until it gets about 1k miles.

I've already found quite a few easter eggs. I was most surprised to find a hiking man in the glass of the boot door.

I got it on Tuesday but haven't been able to take pictures or get some free time, but now that I do have some, I'll photograph it now and post it here.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
404 Posts
I bought a '16 Renegade Sport with the 2.4L Tigershark engine in Granite Crystal Metallic color.

It currently has the base black wheels which I might upgrade when the time comes for new tires if not sooner. I also want to install the roof rails.

What are some good mods I can make to this Jeep? (functional or style)

Are there any must dos according to the forum?

What is the breaking period? I was thinking of just never redlining it until it gets about 1k miles.

I've already found quite a few easter eggs. I was most surprised to find a hiking man in the glass of the boot door.

I got it on Tuesday but haven't been able to take pictures or get some free time, but now that I do have some, I'll photograph it now and post it here.
Congrats on the new Renegade!

As for mods, tires for sure. You'll find plenty of info on alternatives to the stock tires here on the forum. I have some decals on my Trailhawk, like a big white US Army star on the hood and smaller black stars on the rear pillars, "Renegade" decals above the doors, and US flags above the Renegade logos on the front doors. I bought mud flaps, but have not installed them yet. I have the heavy-duty floor mats, too. Lots of options out there - have fun! You should be able to find info on the break-in period in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Congrats, this is what pg. 326 of the owners manual says about engine break-in:

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.

While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.

The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Maintenance Procedures” in “Maintaining And Caring For Your Vehicle.”

·
Registered
72 Posts
NOTE: A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as a problem.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It is a sasquatch not a hiking man. But apples to oranges. Break in for me is usually first 2500, before i go near redline. Also i believe in not truly wringing it out until the first actual oil change. Never like beating on it with the original factory oils. You get any left over schmutz out before you beat on it. Owned 20 new cars never had an issue after doing this. Never had a oil burner in the bunch.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome! Love the color!

When you do finally get around to rims and tires (And you probably will. :) ), check discounttiredirect.com. I went from steelies to 17" alloys for less than $800. This included rims, tires, hub rings and lug studs.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Granite is a **** pretty color! Congratz on your new Ren'!

Tires and roof rails for sure. There's awesome decals-galore all over the forums. Lots of Plasti-dip posts. Gotta find all those Easter Eggs, :)

For me, I didn't start really pulling high rev's until about 1k miles. However, I had no choice but to hop on the expressway on day 1 of ownership (late June of 2015). So I was already pulling 55/60mph at under 50 miles on the odom'.

Just had my first service appointment this past Monday - oil change and 12 software updates, at about 5600 miles. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. I also think it is a pretty color.

Thanks for the tip on discount tires. I didn't think it was possible to pay so little for wheels and tires.

I am already enjoying. Yesterday I put 200 miles on it, unfortunately some of it was highway driving, but I was surprised the revs hovered around 2k for most of the trip. It never got past 3k revs. I also got great fuel economy out of it. Averaged 32 mpg.

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.