Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I finally got my trailhawk! Love it! I have a little problem that I thought maybe someone could help. I drive many miles to work and my saving grace are books on cd. Of course my car does not come with a cd player. I was told to put the on a flash drive, but that takes to much time and it is not easy with the number of cds/books I listen too. I bought a portable cd player with usb capability but for some reason it is not reading the usb??? Help...Anyone have suggestions on what I am to do??

Teeter

·
Registered
201 Posts
Congrats on the new TH! Im no expert at this yet, but rather than a CD have you tried using the little AUX jack located just below the Media USB port? That might work for just feeding in the audio.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am crazy for audiobooks and used to use CDs too, but it is quicker, cheaper, and more convenient to use an mp3 player.

For old books, you can convert them to digital format and then load them on your player.

For new books, you can get the audiobooks through Audible or, free community-generated ones ones from Librivox, or check proprietary ones out for free from your public library. To do this, you need to make sure to have an mp3 player or phone that is compatible (e.g. Apple products do not work with the service my library has). Librarians will help you set this up.

Also, once you get use to using the player for this instead of CDs, you might find a lot of joy in listening to podcasts instead of or in addition to the books.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree with Syzygy, rip music to USB drive. I have 300+ songs on my thumb-drive and it works great in the Renny! It might take a bit to rip and download that many songs but just work on it little by little:)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, rip the cds to mp3 and then dump them on a flash drive. This should not take long at all and once it's done you'll have your entire book library at your finger tips.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like books on CDs for long drives, too, so I can relate. You probably already know that you can buy Audio versions of your books on Audible and stream them through the Jeep's speakers on your Smartphone, but Audible books are not as cheap as they should be, and there would be a significant cost to upgrading a large collection of CDs to the Audible version.

Unfortunately, it might come down to just taking an afternoon and ripping your collection to your MP3, Smartphone, or a flash drive. I spent a couple hours ripping CDs for the same purpose--you just set it up and get it going, do something else until you hear the "all done" signal, rinse, repeat. It doesn't take as long as you might think when all is said and done, and the payoff is more than worth it.

Beyond that, if you haven't discovered the world of podcasts already, I highly recommend it. Download a podcast app called "Downcast" (or use the native one that comes with your smartphone--any podcast app will do) and explore the topics. Everything from politics to sports to literature to movie reviews to comedy awaits you, and almost every podcast is completely free to listen to and download. It's a little like having some of those books on cd available in a live version that you can download or stream within 60 seconds instead of heading to the library or bookstore. The podcast app plays through your phone via the USB port in the Jeep, the sound is flawless, and the episodes WILL make your drives go by very quickly. If you haven't heard a podcast yet, give it a try--you'll thank me later.

Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.