Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first negative experience in the Reney yesterday. I had to make a short out of town trip so I traded Jeeps with my wife, taking the Reney and leaving her the Grand Cherokee. I hadn't driven the Reney in a while so I was looking forward to spending the day with her. I made my first stop ok and then headed out of town (about a 1 1/2hr drive). I was driving normally doing about 50-60mph when the Service Engine light came on and the engine started running badly. I pulled over and checked a few things. I thought about heading straight to the dealer, but realized they were already closed for the day so I decided to limp back home. When I got home I connected my scanner to get two codes...one for #4 cylinder misfire (P0304), and the other pointing to a failed emissions controller (P1064). With computer components controlling more and more things in modern vehicles, I feel this type of failure will happen no matter what model/brand/year, so I was more upset about missing my event than the actual failure. I was also glad this happened while I was driving versus my wife. This should be an easy warranty fix. I'll advise otherwise.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Except it doesn't happen to all other newer cars. No problems with my BMW or my wife's CX-5. When I spend new car money on a new car I expect it to work. If it doesn't I expect it to be fixed under warranty. FCA is selling a flawed product that they can't fix in a reasonable amount of time.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Except it doesn't happen to all other newer cars. No problems with my BMW or my wife's CX-5. When I spend new car money on a new car I expect it to work. If it doesn't I expect it to be fixed under warranty. FCA is selling a flawed product that they can't fix in a reasonable amount of time.
I think most car companies are selling flawed products in some manner.
It's certainly not new or unusual. I knowingly bought a first gen of a vehicle made in a new factory, by probably new employees, and understood the risks.
Honda and Toyota are known for the reliability, but look what they have been going through with their sticky gas pedals and exploding air bags. Ford's new 150's are having front wheel bearing issues and their V10's are blowing out their spark plugs. The list goes on and on. The only reason this is "special" is that we own one.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Heck, Honda put out the all new civic, and have engines eating themselves with very little mileage on the clock.

Engines are supposedly something they are good at.

The cx-5 is not a recent design. They don't do that sounds nice, go look at the debacle the skyactiv diesel turned out to be.

I think, in general, that cafe changes are pushing manufacturers to make changes faster than their processes allow for, and the processes are breaking down. Compromises are also being made that result in less than the best customer experience.

Heck, I suspect if it weren't for modern computer aided design and simulation, this would be making the big three's shift towards fuel efficiency in the 80s from the opec shenanigans look like pleasant times.

·
Registered
394 Posts
No doubt CAFE has a lot to do with it. My last Jeep (1994) made it to 287,000 miles before compression got too low to be reliable. Everything else still worked like it was supposed to when it went to the junk yard.

The CX-5 was the first model year when we bought ours. So it was a new design then. The CX-5 deisel was not released in the US but I understand the heartache of those who bought one.

I am sure Honda is replacing all those motors in short order. Meanwhile FCA's response is "we are working on it but it is going to be a while".

If this was a Tesla/Leaf I would understand. New technology with truly a new design. But the Renegade is filled with a lot of not new tech. 4wd disconnect from the Pacifica, 1.4T has been around in the Fiats, UConnect. Sure the packaging and integration is difficult but it sure feels like they rushed to market.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
I am sure Honda is replacing all those motors in short order. Meanwhile FCA's response is "we are working on it but it is going to be a while".

If this was a Tesla/Leaf I would understand. New technology with truly a new design. But the Renegade is filled with a lot of not new tech. 4wd disconnect from the Pacifica, 1.4T has been around in the Fiats, UConnect. Sure the packaging and integration is difficult but it sure feels like they rushed to market.
"Replacement parts for the recall were not available as of when the company issued its service bulletin dated Jan. 30, the posting on CivicX.com shows. Honda said it expected to notify customers in mid-March when tools, parts and details are projected to be available, according to the bulletin."

Sounds a lot like FCA's parts supply problems. Doesn't sound like short order to me. I'll also point out that Honda fired their president last year over systemic quality problems.

The concept of disconnecting 4wd isn't new, but the AWD system in the renegade is new to FCA, sourced from a Spanish company. A lot of the renegade technology was new to Chrysler. Lots of manufacturers have been increasingly relying on 3rd party vendors to take care of integrating their technology, and it has had it's problems. They are finally learning that you can't do this the way they have been and have been moving to essentially having branch offices of their partners co-located with production. FCA is a bit late to that game, but they are now doing it as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have to agree to a certain point, this is a lot of money and it's not acceptable for a new car to leave you stranded and feeling unsafe.

I wouldn't say FCA is selling a flawed product, this implies a known cover up. The Renegade launch was not as problematic as the Cherokee or Ford Escape.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nevertheless, auto manufactures had shifted their focus on pushing new "improved" vehicles, failing to realize that quality goes long way.
Competition is a driving force which isn't always favors quality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.