Jeep Renegade Forum banner
2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Macman2500 
#1 ·
Hey!
Name is Dennis in PDX < Oregon. Just bought a 'new' 2015 Omaha Orange Trailhawk (2.4l auto) with just under 65k. It's my first car since my manual '98 Saturn SL2 11 years ago. How cars have changed since that Saturn was built! In two weeks I've put 1500 miles on it driving to Mt Hood and the coast (bout 3 times each 😅). I love it! and can't wait to do more off-roading.
I used this forum extensively while deciding on my next car. I wanted either a really good touring car or something with trail capability. I'd narrowed it down to a Jetta(I almost always rent Jettas) and the Renegade for it's hybrid cargo, off-roading abilities.
I do have a few questions:
• I'm not sure I have the Renegade Rumble I have the "fix" from FCA though. When cold (< 130F) it acts like it's stuck in third and there's some resistance rolling to a stop. It's rare. It happens with traction off. That's not Renegade Rumble is it?
• The tranny has a very hard time going from 2-3 and 5-4 when cold, jerky/slow shifts. Autostick works fine, except going from 5-4. Is this kind of normal for 948TEs? This is my first "fly by wire" transmission and am not sure what's normal. Also happens when cold.
• We have a lot of climbs and descends in Oregon, I'm hesitant to use too much engine braking, but I'll wear my pads out in just a few months.
• Can someone point me to the best "best Renegade part time off-toad tire" argument thread? I'd like to catch up. Has anyone used the new Goodrich Trail-Terrains?
• $20,437 for a 2015 Trailhawk with 65k, ZACCJBCT is the config. Good price, bad price, avg? They got me on badly on financing, but I needed a car!

Excited!
-dennis
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Vehicle
Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Automotive carrying rack Car
Tire Sky Wheel Land vehicle Cloud

See less See more
#4 ·
• I'm not sure I have the Renegade Rumble I have the "fix" from FCA though. When cold (< 130F) it acts like it's stuck in third and there's some resistance rolling to a stop. It's rare. It happens with traction off. That's not Renegade Rumble is it?
No, the rumnble does not go away with engine temp. It can go away with ambient temp because the traction control algorithm changes depending on ambient temp.

• The tranny has a very hard time going from 2-3 and 5-4 when cold, jerky/slow shifts. Autostick works fine, except going from 5-4. Is this kind of normal for 948TEs? This is my first "fly by wire" transmission and am not sure what's normal. Also happens when cold.
First, 4-5 and 5-4 is just a slower shift. The 948TE is a very compact 9 speed. It achieves this by essentially being folded on itself. 4-5 and 5-4 are essentially the transition spot for that fold and to switch a dog clutch is involved, and it has to wait for alignment.

The trailhawk starts in 2. It is not typical that that shift is slow. What I have experienced is that from parked, the system pulls a lot of throttle input unless you take off like you stole it. I street park often, and it doesn't like me pulling away at a sane speed, especially when it is colder. If the engine is warmed up.. not as much of an issue. If I parked in my driveway and backed out first before moving forward? Not an issue.

• We have a lot of climbs and descends in Oregon, I'm hesitant to use too much engine braking, but I'll wear my pads out in just a few months.
That's kind of a judgement call in terms of wear and tear. I find in general that engine braking can be dicey on the renegade in that it has 9 gears and will try really hard to keep you rolling and maximize economy. So occasionally it'll shift gears when coasting and you find yourself going from engine braking to picking up a bit of speed.

• Can someone point me to the best "best Renegade part time off-toad tire" argument thread? I'd like to catch up. Has anyone used the new Goodrich Trail-Terrains?
There's not really an argument thread. I suspect because when it came out there were 2 choices where now there are ~10 or so. Just search for tire reviews on here. 225/65/17 is the size answer, and until recently the BFG AT KO2 was the answer for best off road tire. There is now the Geolander M/T G003 which might be better, but I wouldn't want to run it on road in a renegade personally.

I run the Pirelli Scorpion AT+ and they are great when new. At about half tread life they get a lot louder. But basically hit up tirerack for the models available in that size and search here for reviews. There isn't a lot of debate, we are jsut happy to have more choices now.

• $20,437 for a 2015 Trailhawk with 65k, ZACCJBCT is the config. Good price, bad price, avg? They got me on badly on financing, but I needed a car!
The current market is insane. We have similar renegades. I paid $26,700 new IIRC, and used ones in 2019 were going for like $16-18k. Looking locally, I see one that is basically identical to mine plus mysky with 68k on it for $18000. It might be discounted for the mysky. There's a good chance at this age and miles it is broken already.

#5 ·
First, 4-5 and 5-4 is just a slower shift. The 948TE is a very compact 9 speed. It achieves this by essentially being folded on itself. 4-5 and 5-4 are essentially the transition spot for that fold and to switch a dog clutch is involved, and it has to wait for alignment.

The trailhawk starts in 2. It is not typical that that shift is slow. What I have experienced is that from parked, the system pulls a lot of throttle input unless you take off like you stole it. I street park often, and it doesn't like me pulling away at a sane speed, especially when it is colder. If the engine is warmed up.. not as much of an issue. If I parked in my driveway and backed out first before moving forward? Not an issue.
That's spot on. I still do suspect that something is going on. So I'm going to my local dealer to have them check it out.

That's kind of a judgement call in terms of wear and tear. I find in general that engine braking can be dicey on the renegade in that it has 9 gears and will try really hard to keep you rolling and maximize economy. So occasionally it'll shift gears when coasting and you find yourself going from engine braking to picking up a bit of speed.
In the last almost 1700 miles I've gotten really used to auto sticking. If found that this automatic transmission works great, when you do the shifting! ;)

There isn't a lot of debate, we are jsut happy to have more choices now.
I'm kind of set on the Traill Terrain T/A, but you are right, there are so many choices. I remember when the only choices where knobs or winter tires.

Thanks for the great info generally! I saw your post on motor mounts and it sound like that maybe something I'll need to do soon.

Yes, there is no cargo space, the mileage could be better and that 9 speed, but I LOVE THIS THING!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.