Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What with my commute of about 90 miles/day, I've put over 7k miles on my Renegade since I bought it in August. Up until now the longest single trip was about 240 miles round trip to my brother's house and back. This week for work I was asked to travel to our office in Atlanta to train a group of folks on a new system. I left my office in Burlington, NC on Monday afternoon and headed down I-85. I mad it to Atlanta (Alpharetta, actually) in about six hours. It rained the entire way, and I encountered some bad traffic in Charlotte, NC and Greenville, SC. As I stopped for a break north of Charlotte, I noticed several cars full of people in Carolina Panthers jerseys, which is when I remembered that the Panthers were playing the Monday Night Football game in Charlotte. Fortunately Waze routed me around the worst of the game traffic.

The drive back to Raleigh yesterday was a little drier and faster.

Things I took away from this round trip of roughly 700 miles:

1) The Renegade performs very well at speed in the rain. It seems quite resistant to hydroplaning, although I'm sure the new tires have something to do with that. The wipers perform well, although I wish the rear wiper had a longer delay on the intermittent setting. It seems to run at half the interval of the front wipers, whatever they are set on. One swipe of the rear for every 4 or 5 of the front would be more appropriate.

2)The highway fuel economy seems to decrease in the rain, though. My average fuel economy for the trip was only 29.9 mpg, which is lower than I've seen on shorter trips in better weather. This was at speeds ranging from 70-80 mph.

3) The standard cloth seats in my Latitude are excellent for a long haul. I was able to drive four hours at a stretch without a break, and without feeling sore or stiff. That's better than the seats in any of the Nissans I've had, and much better than Honda seats, which I've found give you a severe case of "flat-ass" within about two hours.

4) The comedy channels on Sirius/XM are very good for helping the hours pass quickly.

·
Registered
364 Posts
That's good to now. Work has me on Long Island, but I travel back to the Pittsburgh area almost once a month. I don't have my renegade yet, and having trouble getting ahold of my dealership I got an original quote from, but I've also found that a comedy station or two on Pandora helps to pass the time when I need something other than music.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
. . . The highway fuel economy seems to decrease in the rain . . .
I have noticed this too. My thought is that the front tires are very slightly losing grip at speed which is sensed by the computer and the 4 x 4 system is activated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.