Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colorado Springs to Spokane. Explored around Spokane, up and down mount Spokane, including some idling with the AC on to render assistance to my sister when her van brakes started smoking on the descent. Did some light off-roading and a little blasting around logging roads. Over to Rathdrum, Idaho, back to Spokane, then back to Colorado Springs.

It's a 2017 4x4 sport, 1.4 turbo six speed manual. I can't say enough good about this motor. Most of the highway miles were 70-85mph with cruise on. Almost never had to downshift to climb hills and maintain speed. The only time I had an issue was at high elevation east of Coeur d'Alene Idaho. Turbos are not very efficient up high, so I had to keep it in 4th and 5th to maintain speed. No big deal, all cars run worse in thin air.

The motor is a little unrefined and slightly obnoxious with the turbo noise, but I think that adds to it's character as a Jeep. It's got a pretty throaty exhaust note, especially after I installed a K&N. At idle, it sounds burbly, angry. When you rev it out, there's no hiding that it's turbocharged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip! I'd say turbos are more efficient at high elevation, at least more efficient than NA engines. But then, elevation is relative. I live on the coast of Oregon and going inland to around 4000ft to 5500ft elevation the turbo worked very well, only felt some power loss at the highest end of that elevation range. I got better gas mileage at 4000ft elevation than I did on the coast, I'm guessing it was the higher relative air pressure in the tires due to elevation and higher temps. But I returned from the trip with a 31.8 MPG average.

Reactions: priell3

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should have been more clear.

This particular motor, being quite small, is pretty bad when the turbo starts to have trouble breathing. But yes, in general a turbo will help at higher elevation. My house is at 6700 ft, and I've never had trouble, but climbing higher in Idaho I definitely did. Once we started to descend, power came back, and all was well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts