Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Made the drive from our home in Maryland to our little beach place in Nags Head, NC (300 miles).

Used Rola crossbars to carry two 9 foot kayaks. Worked very well. Wife was driving because we had to take two vehicles in order to carry all our stuff. She said she could not even tell they were up there. I was driving the '05 CRV. It's interior seemed cavernous as compared to the Rene.

Next up, off-roading on the beaches of Carova. I hope this little vehicle is up to the task. We have a twelve mile ride up the beach in soft sand ....

'16 Trailhawk, build 5/16, purchased 1/17

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made it up the beach today

Drove up the beach from Corolla, NC to Carova, NC at the Virginia state line (about 12 miles). We ventured over the dune and saw some of the wild horses.

The Rene did great. Never once felt that we might get stuck.

Conditions were good. We've had some rain recently so the sand was moist . Some of the tire tracks were deep, and I could feel the sand scraping the bottom sometimes. Pictures don't show the deep stuff.

I'm pleased with the performance. This beach drive is one of the reasons we bought the Renegade. We used to make this drive in a Suburban.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Made the drive from our home in Maryland to our little beach place in Nags Head, NC (300 miles).

Used Rola crossbars to carry two 9 foot kayaks. Worked very well. Wife was driving because we had to take two vehicles in order to carry all our stuff. She said she could not even tell they were up there. I was driving the '05 CRV. It's interior seemed cavernous as compared to the Rene.

Next up, off-roading on the beaches of Carova. I hope this little vehicle is up to the task. We have a twelve mile ride up the beach in soft sand ....

'16 Trailhawk, build 5/16, purchased 1/17
Be it a kayak, canoe, SUP, or surfboard, a Renegade just looks a bit more dapper with headgear.
Those boats look like they fit quite nicely up there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the report, looks like you had a good time. Did you have to air down at all?
Yes. Was shooting for 18 front 20 rear. Ended up with 17 front, 20 rear.

We used sand and mud mode. Noticed that they both wanted to keep it in 2nd gear when conditions really called for 3rd. Put it in manual mode and popped it into 3rd, and cruised along nicely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts