Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it snowed about 3 inches here in upstate new York with drifts up to a foot. I did a little driving around 230am before the roads were plowed to see ow my renegade handles the snow. I have a sport FWD model. Manual. and i have to say i was very surprised it just went right thru the snow with no problems. I didn't get stuck, nor did i slip and slide. Even in the deeper drifts i had no problem. I was worried i would get stuck without having 4 wheel drive, but not to worry, FWD does fine.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Well it snowed about 3 inches here in upstate new York with drifts up to a foot. I did a little driving around 230am before the roads were plowed to see ow my renegade handles the snow. I have a sport FWD model. Manual. and i have to say i was very surprised it just went right thru the snow with no problems. I didn't get stuck, nor did i slip and slide. Even in the deeper drifts i had no problem. I was worried i would get stuck without having 4 wheel drive, but not to worry, FWD does fine.
Wait till it gets compressed.;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Where I live in Michigan we saw a mix of snow, sleet, freezing rain and rain, all driven by high winds from superstorm Goliath. The side roads leading to my house were turned into slush and mud. I had to drive about 50 miles thru the storm and in the Trailhawk it was a non-event. My only complaint is that my nice clean car now needs a pass thru the car wash :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Where I live in Michigan we saw a mix of snow, sleet, freezing rain and rain, all driven by high winds from superstorm Goliath. The side roads leading to my house were turned into slush and mud. I had to drive about 50 miles thru the storm and in the Trailhawk it was a non-event. My only complaint is that my nice clean car now needs a pass thru the car wash :)
Jeeps aren't supposed to be clean.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So other than the Trailhawk people obviously, what tires do you all have on that you are so pleased with the performance in the snow? I hate the be a wet blanket here, but my Latitude with the CrossContacts just did horrible in the snow. I know its the tires, not the Jeep. Had it in 4x4 snow mode and was all over the place in about 3". For comparison, I immediately drove our Subaru Crosstrek with more aggressive Geolander G95's on it on the same roads and it did fine with zero slipping. I'm calling around a few tire places today to get the CrossContacts replaced. I hate to put up the $$$$ for new tires with 7700 miles but it is a Jeep, not a Dodge Dart. Not to mention the Continentals look cartoonishly undersized on it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So other than the Trailhawk people obviously, what tires do you all have on that you are so pleased with the performance in the snow? I hate the be a wet blanket here, but my Latitude with the CrossContacts just did horrible in the snow. I know its the tires, not the Jeep. Had it in 4x4 snow mode and was all over the place in about 3". For comparison, I immediately drove our Subaru Crosstrek with more aggressive Geolander G95's on it on the same roads and it did fine with zero slipping. I'm calling around a few tire places today to get the CrossContacts replaced. I hate to put up the $$$$ for new tires with 7700 miles but it is a Jeep, not a Dodge Dart. Not to mention the Continentals look cartoonishly undersized on it.
I went with a Kenda all terrain (Klever AT) 215/70-16 and in the 3" of snow we had here today, they did pretty well. They are slightly taller, but no wider, really. I didn't want to have to worry about rubbing fender liners with wider tires at this point.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went with a Kenda all terrain (Klever AT) 215/70-16 and in the 3" of snow we had here today, they did pretty well. They are slightly taller, but no wider, really. I didn't want to have to worry about rubbing fender liners with wider tires at this point.

Nice! I forgot sports had the 16 inch rims. I think i'm more limited with the 17s on the latitude.

·
Registered
106 Posts
UK snow drive

First drive in snow today. Only a couple of inches of wet snow but very slippery roads. I came home from work in my pick up in 2(R)WD with the back end sliding about now and again and went out in the Renegade with the auto lock set for snow and was quite impressed with how it drove, feeling in control at all times and confident with the handling even when i was pushing it a bit. After a brief stop I did notice that the 4wd mode lock function resets back to auto when the engine is stopped. If you were doing lots of short trips or, for instance, driving in snow over a couple of days or weeks, and you wanted to keep one of the particular settings on then each time you started the Jeep you would have to keep re-selecting it. I would have thought Jeep would have configured it so that once selected the settings stayed on until you decide to turn them off them. But apart from that, I'm quite impressed with the wee thing. (PS - maybe i'm mis-understanding the way to use the auto lock function so any advice welcome. I'm more used to the 4wd systems in my Wrangler and Ranger)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Tonight was the first time this winter we had any real snow in the northtowns of Buffalo. I almost felt too secure! This thing is perfect. I always especially appreciate a manual in the snow too, so having that and AWD is a big bonus.

We're supposed to get a few more inches overnight too. I'm sure it will be mostly cleaned up by the time I leave for work, but I'll be busting out of about 8-12 inches in my apartment's parking lot. I'm looking forward to it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Tonight was the first time this winter we had any real snow in the northtowns of Buffalo. I almost felt too secure! This thing is perfect. I always especially appreciate a manual in the snow too, so having that and AWD is a big bonus.

We're supposed to get a few more inches overnight too. I'm sure it will be mostly cleaned up by the time I leave for work, but I'll be busting out of about 8-12 inches in my apartment's parking lot. I'm looking forward to it.
Just curious, are you sporting the stock tires?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had my first real spinout in the Lattitude with stock tires. I was on a mountain highway, between 7,000 and 8,000 feet. Several feet of snow over the last couple weeks. Roads were plowed, but there was lots of it compacted down into ice. I did not shift down for a downgrade and the jeep picked up some speed while coasting. Stepped on the brakes and went along for the ride. No damage to the jeep, narrowly avoided other cars and all is well. I paid more attention to the road, downshifted when needed and the rest of the drive was uneventful. The stock tires handle the snow fine, just need to shift down more often.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thoughts on tires

I know there's a few threads in here. My 2015 Rene sucks in the snow. I have the tires from the dealership (kumho 7 crugen 225 R18 I think). I slip and slide no matter how much snow is on the road. It feels like I have no control. I know these are not winter tires, but I figured they should still be ok. Thoughts on this, or recommendations on new tires?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I know there's a few threads in here. My 2015 Rene sucks in the snow. I have the tires from the dealership (kumho 7 crugen 225 R18 I think). I slip and slide no matter how much snow is on the road. It feels like I have no control. I know these are not winter tires, but I figured they should still be ok. Thoughts on this, or recommendations on new tires?
Hmmm, how many miles are on your tires? Also, do you have them over or underinflated? A worn, underinflated tire won't perform too well in the snow...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.