Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my 9 speed auto Jeep in snow and ice today and started to lose traction on a steep hill so tried to select the 4wd lock snow setting but it would not select with the car either in motion or static. I noticed on the dash where it would normally say "4wd lock" that it said "4wd Serv". I stopped, shut down the engine and then re-started. The 4wd lock selector lit up every terrain light for a few seconds, including hill descent, 4wd low and auto lock then went out. With me fearing the worst I tried the 4wd snow function again and it selected without any issue and the Jeep went up the hill like there was no snow. I'm hoping this experience is a one off but has anyone else with the 9 speed auto had this happen to them or can anyone explain what might have occured?

·
Registered
83 Posts
4WD Serv<ice> light indicates the driveline computer found a problem and disabled AWD/4WD capability. I would bring it into the dealer to see:

1. If a software update is needed for your Jeep; or
2. If there is an issue with the solenoids that engage the rear axle, or the rear left/right wheel clutches.

They need to check the stored computer codes. If it was a transient, and does not happen again, I suspect a software update, where some tolerance for a fail indication is too low. But that is just a guess. I have done what you describe a bunch of times, and had no issues. I might have newer software?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Control-Alt-Delete :)
Vehicles used to be mechanical and hydraulic and stupid home spannering guys like me used to take a bit of pride in figuring out what was wrong with the vehicle and fixing it. Then someone put a computer in the mix and the computer by way of dashboard lights told stupid guys like me what mechanical or hydraulic bit to fix and at least I could still take pride in getting the spanners out and fixing it. Now the computers control the vehicles, sometimes wont let the mechnical or hydraulic bits do their work, sometimes will only tell other computers why they're not feeling well and sometimes need the mechanical and hydraulic bits to be surrounded by more sensors than a Gillete salesman so best not go near it with the home spanners. Am I stupid or something??

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome to the future, owning a car... let alone fixing it yourself will soon 'be a thing of the past'. Autonomous cars, uber, car sharing is taking over.

Imagine, in the future... when you get a 'transmission gremlin', the car will drive itself to the repair shop.

If your car is immobile, it'll summon an autonomous flat bed, drop off a loaner, and haul your car to the shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.