Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another survey, another bottom of the barrel ranking for FCA. As you are negotiating your best deal on your new Renegade, make sure you take this and other surveys with you. Use it to negotiate to what best suits your situation, Long term buyer, tell them you want a Chrysler Lifetime Extended warranty at cost (not some third party one), Finance buyer, get a reduction in your loan rate, Lessee, get a better lease rate, or whatever else you can negotiate.

I normally only post some of the story, but this is to good and you have to read the entire thing. Personally, I don't believe the last line and will be getting the Chrysler Lifetime Extended warranty as part of my negotiation.

Five worst auto brands for service under one roof

A new survey measuring the satisfaction of people taking their vehicles into dealerships for service ranks five Fiat Chrysler (FCA-IT) brands as the worst in the auto industry.

The company's Jeep nameplate received the worst ratings among all 20 brands in the J.D. Power Customer Service Index, despite the fact that it's led the industry in sales growth over the last two years.

"These results are consistent with what we've seen in recent years," said Mike Battaglia, senior director of auto retail at J.D. Power. "They've been underperforming in customer service at dealerships relative to the rest of the industry."

The J.D. Power study is based on the responses of 70,000 owners and lessees of 2010 to 2014 model-year vehicles.

Fiat Chrysler did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Since coming out of bankruptcy in 2009 under the ownership of Fiat, sales for the Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram brands have rebounded. Thanks to a slew of new models and fresh marketing, Fiat Chrysler's U.S. market share has climbed from 8.9 percent at the end of 2009, to 12.7 percent at the end of last year.

So why are Fiat Chrysler customers surveyed by J.D. Power not as happy as owners of other brands?

One issue is that FCA dealers often handle all five brands under one roof, which presents more challenges than tending to just one brand, Battaglia said. And as sales of Jeep and Ram have surged, so has the number of vehicles being handled for basic service.

Another area where FCA service centers trail those of other brands involves basic customer service, such as the attentiveness of service managers and how quickly customers can pick up their vehicle after servicing.

"While these customer service areas are lagging, the Fiat Chrysler dealers don't have to move a mountain to improve their service," he said.

Cynics will point out sales, not surveys, are the biggest indicator of whether or not consumers like a particular auto brand. And with four of its five nameplates—Chrysler, Jeep, Ram and Fiat—all posting sales growth last year, there's no indication that customers have been scared away.

"The good news is FCA executives realize they need to improve and they are working on it," Battaglia said.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/five-worst-auto-brands-under-211600926.html

Reactions: Nate and kj11

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think asking your salesperson to throw in a lifetime warranty at COST because you read some survey will result in getting laughed off the dealership floor. Unless you are really good friends with the sales manager, or a family member, etc.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Initially, with the rush to get a Renegade, that might be harder to do, could take some trips to different dealers but as the hype died down and they need more leverage to generate sales... there will be a greater chance of getting them to sign off on that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
With time, you will be able to negotiate with dealers and get significant discounts and benefits. The early birds are usually people who are eager to get their hands on a Renegade and are in need of a new car. I'd rather keep the car I have now and wait it out a few months. Once the hype drops, hit up the dealer on a nice day with your dealer cap on and start to slowly negotiate deals and pricing. That's my plan at least :)

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
This is not news, the Chrysler brands have historically had horrible dealership experience. Some of it bafflingly so. At one point my family moved while owning a couple of Dodge vehicles. Where we moved, the dodge dealership seemed to not be interested in selling people much of anything, but begrudgingly did since inventory turned over, and they weren't very interested in servicing anything, especially if it meant the vehicle would be there overnight. How they planned to make money I don't know. They were also exceptionally unpleasant on an interpersonal level.

I currently use a dodge/jeep/subaru/something else I forget dealer for my Suabru servicing needs. They are very pleasant from that aspect. Much less scum baggy than the ford/subaru dealership I was using.

Of note, when they cut loose some dealerships during bankruptcy, the horrible one mentioned above was one of the ones cut loose, but likely due to their capacity and sales numbers (relatively small in this day and age for a dealership) rather than as a direct result of their behavior being bad for the brand.

From my experience, most of the awful has been service department, and mostly warranty claim issues fro the chryco brands.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think asking your salesperson to throw in a lifetime warranty at COST because you read some survey will result in getting laughed off the dealership floor. Unless you are really good friends with the sales manager, or a family member, etc.
Perhaps your new the FCA family and are unaware of the widely known FCA poor repair and reliability record? There are numerous threads here discussing it you can search for.

Or, perhaps you a lifelong Mopar fan and no facts should confuse the situation, perhaps you have always bought Mopars and always will. That is fine, that is why there is such rapid Mopar and Jeep loyalty. To you the repairs are just part of owing an FCA product and you are fine with that, more power to you, peace.

For some of us, getting a Lifetime Warranty, knowing that one expensive repair will pay for it, is our peace of mind.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Perhaps your new the FCA family and are unaware of the widely known FCA poor repair and reliability record? There are numerous threads here discussing it you can search for.

Or, perhaps you a lifelong Mopar fan and no facts should confuse the situation, perhaps you have always bought Mopars and always will. That is fine, that is why there is such rapid Mopar and Jeep loyalty. To you the repairs are just part of owing an FCA product and you are fine with that, more power to you, peace.

For some of us, getting a Lifetime Warranty, knowing that one expensive repair will pay for it, is our peace of mind.

The only way I could see any dealer throwing in a warranty on a brand new model would be if it was the last hour of the last day of the month and they need one more vehicle out the door to meet quota. Unless there are special circumstances they aren't going to offer you anything special. Too many other people will be willing to plop down the money.

By the way, how much is a lifetime warranty anyway? I've not heard of those before.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lifetime Warranty

By the way, how much is a lifetime warranty anyway? I've not heard of those before.
For a new renegade the price of the max care lifetime warranty is around $3,600 with a $50 deductable. Max Care Lifetime covers just about everything, a bumper to bumper warranty with unlimited miles and unlimited years good till you die or sell.
For those that buy a new vehicle every few years the warranty is not a good deal, but for someone like me that buys a vehicle for keeps, 20 or more years, this lifetime warranty is well worth the money.

You can find warranty pricing here.
http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/lifetime_warranty.cfm

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only way I could see any dealer throwing in a warranty on a brand new model would be if it was the last hour of the last day of the month and they need one more vehicle out the door to meet quota. Unless there are special circumstances they aren't going to offer you anything special. Too many other people will be willing to plop down the money.

I did not say "throwing in a warranty" I said at cost, this is just simple negotiation. Rough numbers, full retail is about $3K, dealer cost is less than $2k. There are some FCA Dealers who have setup websites to buy it direct from them, it does not have to come from the selling dealer but any FCA dealer. Also, on the Wrangler forums, some smart Jeep sales people sell them for about $1900.

So what are you getting, you are simply being a good negotiator and getting an accessory at cost, no different than negotiating any other dealer add-on.

A google search shows these three at the top, BUT, you always have go make sure you are buying the factory authorized warranty and not a third party one, some websites masquerade so you have to confirm yourself first.

LIFETIME MEANS LIFETIME
Chrysler is the first and only automaker that offers a Lifetime warranty with unlimited mileage. That means that your vehicle will be covered for as long as you own it. Mopar Vehicle Protection plans with lifetime coverage are also offered in three coverage levels, Powertrain Care, Added Care and Maximum Care. A Lifetime Maximum Care plan, with it´s bumper to bumper coverage, is probably the best value in the industry. Spend a few minutes on this page and browse through the information below to learn more about lifetime plans.

http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/lifetime_warranty.cfm
http://www.moparvehicleprotection.com/
http://www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com/

·
Registered
120 Posts
Found this on the mopar site

All Chrysler, Jeep® and Dodge vehicles within 48 months of the in-service date and currently having less than 48,000 miles are eligible for Lifetime Maximum Care Plans,

So even if you don't get it up front there is still a chance later on. I think for $2k that would be a steal and definitely something I'm going to ask about when it's time. Hopefully by the time the 2016 models arrive there will be a fair amount of feedback with any quality concerns.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My local Fiat dealer is a low life piece of crap. Caught them sabotaging my car once. Started going to a different dealer 1 1/2 hours away. They have great service and are wonderful. However, Fiats parts department sucks! Went to get front brakes and the company was out of them...... THE WHOLE FRICKEN COMPANY! ! I was number 87 on the back order list. I went after market pads and they installed them and turned the rotors for $87.00 for compensation. That want the only time I had issue with getting parts either.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My local Fiat dealer is a low life piece of crap. Caught them sabotaging my car once. Started going to a different dealer 1 1/2 hours away. They have great service and are wonderful. However, Fiats parts department sucks! Went to get front brakes and the company was out of them...... THE WHOLE FRICKEN COMPANY! ! I was number 87 on the back order list. I went after market pads and they installed them and turned the rotors for $87.00 for compensation. That want the only time I had issue with getting parts either.
Hi, Indiana Jones, "a different dealer 1 1/2 hours away". Which dealers were these two, I need to start finding out who is good and bad in Southern California?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi, Indiana Jones, "a different dealer 1 1/2 hours away". Which dealers were these two, I need to start finding out who is good and bad in Southern California?
My local dealer is Bakersfield Jeep / Chrysler / Fiat. They are absolutely crooks. Got a great deal on my Abarth because the sale manager goes to my church and the salesman is my sisters friend, but the service department was the worst I have ever seen at a dealership.

The great dealership Is Jeep, Chrysler, Fiat, in Thousand Oaks. Absolutely top notch service.Their sales staff are not pushy, and they don' do mark ups. They were my second choice when I was shopping for my Abarth and I literally visited every dealer in So Cal in person. (took two days). If I get my Renegade I will probably be getting it from there.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here is my experience:

As a Jeep Patriot owner since spring 2010, with an extended warranty of 7 years or 115.000KM (aprox 71.000 Miles) I can say that I had a fair experience with my local dealer here in Montreal / Canada.

I always did my service at the same dealer where I bought the Patriot in 2010...

In fact, I got to know the guy behind the service desk because I visited them too often since buying the new Patriot, for all kind of issues in the car. The service person is friendly, professional and pretty honest in his estimates as for costs or time of repairs.

However, what I did not like about the whole experience (and it has nothing to do with this service person), is that despite taking the car every year to check recurrent issues in the suspensions (making all kind of squeaks and noises) and even if after every repair session they gave me an invoice listing all the parts they changed and they billed it all on the warranty, they did not succeed to fix the suspensions issue completely... This year I am due for another session of repairs because the suspensions sounds are too scary and annoying...

Another issue appeared few months ago: on idle, like stopping at a red light, the engine vibrates annoyingly. I went to the dealer's service and talked to the same service desk person I know, he checked the car and told me : "this is normal in 4 cyl. engines"... My reply to him was in a form of a light joke yet in a sarcastic tone I answered : "And how many cylinders were in it when I got it new in 2010? They were 4 as well and did not have this vibration until lately..."

So all in all, I think it goes back to the basic quality of the engineered vehicle and the parts quality + assembly... No matter what dealers service departments do or don't do to fix this and that, if the issues are complex and related to the global quality of the machine, it won't be a magic fix and won't make a big difference as it was in my case... The technicians at dealers can't do miracles as you know and sometimes they don't know everything about the car and its particularities even if they seem specialized...

Hence people get frustrated for not having their issues solved in an already unreliable car...

So I learned to stop blaming the service department that gets the load of low quality of a brand on its shoulder and can't do miracles in order to fix such tangled issues that are basically the responsibility of the engineering and production quality control...

Sales are high because people in my opinion and as you know buy Jeeps emotionally, sometimes because they are proud of a national brand (in the US), or for the smells of the outdoors in the vehicles look and feel... Or sometimes because we see good incentives or even they can get budget 4X4s like the Patriots etc... They certainly don't by them for their reliability!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.