Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and gals, fellow renegades! If you have a faulty ambient air temperature reading (and as a result, a check engine light), you will find that requesting a repair will likely by upwards of $500 at the dealership. OR you can buy the part you need (which is called a thermistor) for about $5.00 or less and do the repair in under an hour. You will need a long thin screwdriver, a wire cutter, a soldering iron (and knowledge of how to solder), and some liquid electrical tape or hot glue. You also need to know how, which is pretty simple if you watch this video:

I get that you might not be comfortable following a link, so find the video on YouTube. The content creator is Relic Adventures (no, it’s not me), the title of the video is “Jeep Renegade Ambient Temp Fix For Under $10”.
It is not my video, but I did this repair on my 2015 Renny, and it was EASY! I had to share.
If you want to make this repair, here is the specs on the thermistor you will need:

NTC Thermistor 10k Ohm 10% Radial Lead 2.5mm Lead.

There is a link on the video to this thermistor on Amazon, but it was out of stock when I tried to order it. I found mine on eBay.
Hope this helps!
JeepJev

·
Registered
991 Posts
Agreed, excellent video.

But with that being said, that dude is horrible at time management.
"The sun is setting in about 20 minutes. Let's go outside NOW and record a repair video.". He could've waited like, 12 hours and did it at sunrise..... lol

My only concern is the 10k thermistor. I work with 10k's in my line of work; large commercial building automation. There are several types, Type I, II,III, etc. All will read, but use the wrong Type, you get inaccurate readings. Granted, for a vehicle, no big deal, but the anal retentive part of me would want the right Type, simply because of my line of work.... ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed, excellent video.

But with that being said, that dude is horrible at time management.
"The sun is setting in about 20 minutes. Let's go outside NOW and record a repair video.". He could've waited like, 12 hours and did it at sunrise..... lol

My only concern is the 10k thermistor. I work with 10k's in my line of work; large commercial building automation. There are several types, Type I, II,III, etc. All will read, but use the wrong Type, you get inaccurate readings. Granted, for a vehicle, no big deal, but the anal retentive part of me would want the right Type, simply because of my line of work.... ;)
Hey Mud Pie, thanks for the info. Me not knowing squat doodly, I just went with the one he showed. Temp on the dash now matches what my phone’s weather app says. Honestly, I have no idea what ANY of those numbers mean, but what the hey, just happy I fixed it!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Replaced mine this Spring. Couldn't use my 4wd until I did. If anyone needs a thermistor I have a few left. I'll mail them to you if you're in need. Just shoot me a PM. I think I have 3 left.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hey Mud Pie, thanks for the info. Me not knowing squat doodly, I just went with the one he showed. Temp on the dash now matches what my phone’s weather app says. Honestly, I have no idea what ANY of those numbers mean, but what the hey, just happy I fixed it!
I'm sure it would work fine with no issues, it shouldn't be far off at all, if any, probably just a few ohm's off on a multimeter, such as an independent calibrated air probe (next to your thermistor) reads 72 degrees, a multimeter on the new 10k thermistor leads should read 11,305 ohms +/- a few before you install. It's just me, I'd HAVE to have the exact right type, I'm anal like that.... :LOL: In fact, my boss loves the fact that I pay attention to all the little details.....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Nice post.

Reactions: puddlesplasher

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Replaced mine this Spring. Couldn't use my 4wd until I did. If anyone needs a thermistor I have a few left. I'll mail them to you if you're in need. Just shoot me a PM. I think I have 3 left.
Justin that's an excellent attitude to have and worthy of praise. Many thanks. :love:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015, if you have any extras i would like one of them. Not sure where to PM you at.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts