Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Flapping Noise

23K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  foggynotion 
#1 ·
I hear a flapping noise (like a baseball card on spokes) coming from the right-hand side of my car. I hear it when I'm accelerating up a hill or if I let the gas off and put it back on. I was told it's "cupped" tires???

#2 ·
cupped tires will make noise. Without a sample, we can't offer an opinion.

What tires are you on? I have the good year RS-A tires on my trailhawk, and while they have worn fairly quickly, no cupping or feathering.

Cupping is caused because either the tires are junk, or because something is up with the suspension or alignment.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm having the exact same issue putnicks. I have a 2016 75th Anniversary edition renegade and it's only in the last 6-8 months that this noise started.

For me, it happens when it rains heavily or snow. It doesn't matter if I turn off ESC or put it in 4wd.

I recently had my renegade serviced and they said they couldn't find anything and the noise happens out of the blue. Today is the first time I finally got audio of the sound, but it sounds exactly as you described.

#6 ·
I hear a flapping rattle sound as well. I believe it is the hood though. Sounds like it is coming from the right side high up in the engine compartment. That is about as far as I've gotten with it. Only rattles from like 20-30mph then stops.

#7 ·
I was thinking about getting a second opinion and also bringing my Renegade back to the dealership so I could let them hear the audio I recorded so they can thoroughly check out what the issue might be.

They weren't too concerned the first time around, that's for sure.

#14 ·
I've had the hood up several times and for the life of me can't figure it out. Only happens when accelerating from 15 to 40 under mild acceleration. Low and Hard acceleration do not produce the sound.

#17 ·
When I 1st got our Renegade and had the hood up, I noticed on the back side of the radiator housing there are some plastic flaps that appear to move freely. I imagine they are constantly moving when air hits them. Maybe that's what hearing.

#19 ·
With the motor cold and off, give your radiator fan blade a good wiggle. There should be no play in it. One thing to check.

And I heard the 2019s will have electrically operated front air diverters now to worry about. Yea!!

#22 ·
my wife and I just bought a 2016 renegade anniversary edition and it is currently at Hoffman Chrysler for this exact reason .. any help I could get would be appreciated .. they have the car dismantled right now trying to find the issue .. they replaced the engine mount and that was not the cause.

#26 ·
So I am actually a tech at a Jeep dealership and stumbled across this thread while trying to diagnose a similar concern. I ended up finding that the intake tube that goes from the front grille to the air filter box (part 5 in pdf attached) had some broken clips and was rattling around during acceleration. Figured I'd make an account and share what I found and maybe help some of you out.

Customers complaint was a flutter/rattle type noise in the r/f during mild acceleration between about 20-30 mph. Hopefully this might help some of you.

Attachments

#29 ·
I have a 2016 Trailhawk edition and that noise is for sure the plastic air intake leading into the air box. I had the dealer replace it and the sounds went away for a few weeks then came back. I ended wrapping that plastic piece with duck tape and the sound went away. It's unfortunate to have such poorly designed parts in a modern car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.