Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am coming with sort of a weird question. The other day, the cutch went out in my renegade (a 2018 manual sport). Not a problem, I was going to take it to the dealership to get it fixed, though I have the problem of trying to transport it. Initially, I was going to flat tow it on with a friends truck, however I read a post on here that said that you CANNOT flat tow this model. The explanation was that when the vehicle is off, the sensors are still running and it is bad for the vehicle.

With the vehicle off, I can understand why this would be a problem, but I wanted to ask what would happen if the vehicle was on? In principle, the vehicle is acting as though the clutch is completely depressed so I don't see why it would be a problem as long as the car is on. A follow up question though is would the vehicle continue to gain miles while this was happening? It wouldn't mind, I am just curious.

Thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to take the time to answer my question!

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
I'd be more worried about towing it with a buggered clutch. Unless you know exactly what's wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
I wanted to ask what would happen if the vehicle was on? In principle, the vehicle is acting as though the clutch is completely depressed so I don't see why it would be a problem as long as the car is on. A follow up question though is would the vehicle continue to gain miles while this was happening? It wouldn't mind, I am just curious.
Just a thought but if the ignition of the towed vehicle is "on" and no one is behind the wheel then essentially you are towing an uncontrolled vehicle. Heaven help that any fault happens in the towed Jeep causes a catastrophic failure and subsequently an accident or death which would therefore be deemed as avoidable.

I sense a hefty prison term as any vehicle (UK) with the engine running must have someone inside the vehicle at all times with a full and current car licence. I understand that the US may be different.

My Renegade is a manual 4x4 which means the clutch will always be engaged unless you were to press down the clutch whilst towing. The movie adaptions of a brick springs to mind.

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Renegade Limited AWD 2.4L
785 Posts
Hey all,

I am coming with sort of a weird question. The other day, the cutch went out in my renegade (a 2018 manual sport). Not a problem, I was going to take it to the dealership to get it fixed, though I have the problem of trying to transport it. Initially, I was going to flat tow it on with a friends truck, however I read a post on here that said that you CANNOT flat tow this model. The explanation was that when the vehicle is off, the sensors are still running and it is bad for the vehicle.

With the vehicle off, I can understand why this would be a problem, but I wanted to ask what would happen if the vehicle was on? In principle, the vehicle is acting as though the clutch is completely depressed so I don't see why it would be a problem as long as the car is on. A follow up question though is would the vehicle continue to gain miles while this was happening? It wouldn't mind, I am just curious.

Thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to take the time to answer my question!
I’m no help here. I’ve never towed a vehicle before (minus helping people get unstuck). I’ll definitely be doing some research on the subject.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Towing can be scary if the person behind doesn't fully understand what to do ie when braking or turning a corner and the need to take it a little wide.

Then you have the driver with no experience towing YOU and hes pulling and jerking the tow rope all the time and not slowing down gently. All you see is red brake lights and OMFG you need to do an emergency stop.

Best way is with a rigid bar between both vehicles. then again I sh1t myself coming down the side of Loch Lomond, Scotland with a truck towing me ie a Heavy Goods Vehicle. He told me to toot the horn when I got the engine started. I tooted within about 5 seconds but he kept going for the next 15 miles then said. "I knew you got it started but I was only making sure I got you off that bad road".

Bad road??? By freck I was getting towed around 50mph and was holding on for dear life :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts