Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
My Rene is apparently a Flex Fuel vehicle, but since it has a capless fuel opening with no yellow cap, where does it note that my Rene is Flex Fuel.
On page 384 of the owners manual it states:
1.4L Turbo Engine
This engine is designed to meet all emission
regulations and provide satisfactory
fuel economy and performance when using
high-quality unleaded "regular" gasoline
having an octane rating of 87. For
optimum performance and fuel economy the use of 91
octane or higher is recommended

2.4L Engine
All available gasoline engines are designed
to meet all emissions regulations and provide
excellent fuel economy and performance
when using high quality unleaded
“regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended,
as it will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in
these engines.

·
Registered
181 Posts
On page 186 of my manual it says the Flex-Fuel (E85) is only on some of the 2.4's.
All other 2.4's are recommended 87 octane with no more than 10% ethanol.

It also says that the 1.4L should run 91 octane with no more than 10% ethanol.
Personally I wouldn't put a drop of ethanol in this engine, but that's just me.

Reactions: crom

·
Registered
59 Posts
I didn't think any of the US Renegades were Flex Fuel equipped - are you sure about that?
I have printed out the "Equipment listings" for my Jeep renegade and it does list it as a
"Flex Fuel Vehicle" this is a 2.4 engine.
You can get a print out of your vehicle, at Jeep.com
This is your Owners account or your U-Connect account.
Login to your account ( if you have one or create one) and under the tab "Learn & Use" then click on "Equipment" and it will list ALL the options you have.
Standard
Special Equipment
Dealer Installed Equipment
Optional Equipment

It does not give you the sales codes but everything on your vehicle will be listed.

Hopes this helps

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just an added note:
I also found it stated as a "Flex Fuel Vehicle" under "Optional Equipment" on the last line on the Window Sticker.
I do not see it anywhere else or any other labels on the vehicle ? :eek:

Maybe I have an oddball :D

·
Registered
610 Posts
On page 384 of the owners manual it states:
1.4L Turbo Engine
This engine is designed to meet all emission
regulations and provide satisfactory
fuel economy and performance when using
high-quality unleaded "regular" gasoline
having an octane rating of 87. For
optimum performance and fuel economy the use of 91
octane or higher is recommended

2.4L Engine
All available gasoline engines are designed
to meet all emissions regulations and provide
excellent fuel economy and performance
when using high quality unleaded
“regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended,
as it will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in
these engines.

That is not what "FlexFuel" means. It means gas with various blends of Ethanol, like E85 (85%), E10 (10%), etc.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Just an added note:
I also found it stated as a "Flex Fuel Vehicle" under "Optional Equipment" on the last line on the Window Sticker.
I do not see it anywhere else or any other labels on the vehicle ? :eek:

Maybe I have an oddball :D
Sounds like it! Mine doesn't have that option.

What does the online equipment listing show you for your VIN at this site? https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/session/L3RpbWUvMTM5MzY0MzI4OC9zaWQvWGxOMmc2T2w=

Does it still show the Flex Fuel in the optional equipment section?

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes, it does shows "Flex Fuel Vehicle"
Very interesting. According to what I've been able to find, Flex Fuel isn't an option for the USDM Renegade; it is in Brazil and only on the 1.6L and 1.8L E.torq engines.

EDIT: I did see a Limited and Latitude FWD listed at a dealership in the US that claims to be FlexFuel capable. Is yours a FWD?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very interesting. According to what I've been able to find, Flex Fuel isn't an option for the USDM Renegade; it is in Brazil and only on the 1.6L and 1.8L E.torq engines.

EDIT: I did see a Limited and Latitude FWD listed at a dealership in the US that claims to be Flex Fuel capable. Is yours a FWD?
Yes See attached Window Sticker I removed the vin number off the sheet

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts

EDIT: I did see a Limited and Latitude FWD listed at a dealership in the US that claims to be Flex Fuel capable. Is yours a FWD?
Yes See attached Window Sticker I removed the vin number off the sheet

I have put an orange box around the FLEX FUEL option. But I do not use the flex fuel !

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
In EPA's fuel economy website it is listed the FWD Jeep Renegade 2.4 flex fuel.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2015_Jeep_Renegade.shtml

There are also the fuel economy data

city / combined / highway
gasoline 22 / 25 / 31
E85 17 / 19 / 24

There is the same option for Jeep Cherokee 2.4.
In some european markets there was (is?) a Fiat Freemont (revised Dodge Journey) 2.4 flex fuel.

·
Registered
285 Posts
In EPA's fuel economy website it is listed the FWD Jeep Renegade 2.4 flex fuel.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2015_Jeep_Renegade.shtml

There are also the fuel economy data

city / combined / highway
gasoline 22 / 25 / 31
E85 17 / 19 / 24

There is the same option for Jeep Cherokee 2.4.
In some european markets there was (is?) a Fiat Freemont (revised Dodge Journey) 2.4 flex fuel.
So wonder what the benefit to using E85 is? You pay less per gallon, but get less mpg...

·
Registered
610 Posts
So wonder what the benefit to using E85 is? You pay less per gallon, but get less mpg...
You answered your own question. These ethanol blends really came into play when the war in Iraq, OPEC production and global economic climate jacked up price of oil. Now, with oil prices dropping due to OPEC production and price fixing in order to kill off shale production in North America... AND the prospect Iranian oil becoming available on the open market once sanctions ease... E85 is a moot point. It was a short-term band-aid solution that came out of short-sighted energy policies that made corn farmers very happy—who are now feeling the squeeze along with all of the shale drilling operations.

These days the real benefit is if you're on a road trip and find yourself low on gas, and the nearest station serves only E85, you won't have to worry about damaging your FlexFuel Renegade.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My FWD Renegade has Flex Fuel Vehicle listed on the window sticker in 2.4engine option section. E85 is also shown in the fuel economy section. It is also shown in the on line equipment listing. There is no E85 label on the fuel door hinge.

There is a caution note on page 390 in the owner manual and on page 187 in the user guide (CAUTION, Only vehicles with the E-85fuel filler door can operate on E-85).

On page 387 the owner manual has a section (E-85 usage in a non flex fuel vehicle.) It reads in part, non flex vehicles are compatible with up 10% ethanol. Gasoline with higher ethanol content may void the new vehicle limited warranty.

Clifton

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.