Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I bought my 2015 TH a year ago, I have noticed all the lights from interior lights to parking and headlights flicker at idle. No idling issues at all. Thought maybe the alternator was going bad. It's annoying when sitting in traffic and the head lights flicker.

·
Registered
2018 Renegade Latitude
148 Posts
Ever since I bought my 2015 TH a year ago, I have noticed all the lights from interior lights to parking and headlights flicker at idle. No idling issues at all. Thought maybe the alternator was going bad. It's annoying when sitting in traffic and the head lights flicker.
Standard headlights or HIDs?

Reactions: puddlesplasher

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts
Could you have a loose battery connection?

It's a really easy fix to take a spanner, socket or a pair of pliars to check. Simply try to tighten up both positive and negative connections on the battery.

Then if that fails we start to delve into the electrical mechanical side of the Jeep. Could a failing alternator be causing the issue or could it be simply fixed by tightening up the alternator belts :unsure:

I will leave that part to our forum mechanics (y)(y)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are your LEDs canbus error free?

Have a wee look on the forum for my recent post. I replaced most of my bulbs, bar the indicators. I have no flickering :D:D(y)(y)
Im not sure if they are can bus free or not. One of the original bulbs actually got so hot it melted the inside of the housing so I had to "whaller" (southern term) the hole out to get the new LED bulb to fit.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Flickering lights like that is usually a problem with the alternator, or more specifically the rectifiers & voltage regulator in the alternator. It can also be caused by a bad ground at the battery or alternator. I'd check for corrosion at the battery terminals and the main ground connection near the battery.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Look in settings on your dash with engine running and see what the charging voltage is. If that is steady and 13.8 v's or higher and your lights are flickering turn off engine and check the breakers and fuses in the panel to see that they are all tight. I've had then come loose from bouncing around in the dirt and if they are all good check the bat terminals to see they are tight. If after all this they still flicker i would then remove batt terminals and clean them then reinstall cables and tighten securly and that dosent mean put a breaker badr on them just snug is fine if they are clean. Thats about all you can do without doing some electronic troublshooting which i won't get into here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Flickering lights like that is usually a problem with the alternator, or more specifically the rectifiers & voltage regulator in the alternator. It can also be caused by a bad ground at the battery or alternator. I'd check for corrosion at the battery terminals and the main ground connection near the battery.
I've changed the cable, ground that is, battery, alternator, with no help.. No codes appearing but now voltage reads 15.6v at idle and driving with heater and lights on. 2 months ago it read 14.8v

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've changed the cable, ground that is, battery, alternator, with no help.. No codes appearing but now voltage reads 15.6v at idle and driving with heater and lights on. 2 months ago it read 14.8v
you could have a high resistance connection between your batt and alternater. A high resistance will cause the alt voltage to go higher at like it was open circuit voltage.Flickering lights could also be caused by this as your load would not be getting full voltage. Check the voltage with a voltmeter when the lights are flickering

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd verify that voltage with a handheld meter, but if it's real you're massively overcharging your battery and will cook it quickly. The voltage regulator has no feedback and doesn't know when to stop charging. It's either a bad regulator (in the alternator) or perhaps a bad connection (I do not have a wiring diagram for the Rnengade so I don't know if it uses a separate wire for voltage feedback).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts