Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my special ordered Renegade this past Monday and I love it.

One thing that I noticed that I don't see a thread discussing it is that my steering column is surrounded by foam. It seems like it is meant to be there but the execution is not very attractive. I think it will get all pulled apart over time. Does anyone know what that is about? Should I remove it?

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
951 Posts
I finally got my special ordered Renegade this past Monday and I love it.

One thing that I noticed that I don't see a thread discussing it is that my steering column is surrounded by foam. It seems like it is meant to be there but the execution is not very attractive. I think it will get all pulled apart over time. Does anyone know what that is about? Should I remove it?
Mine is fabric coved, black, and blends in with the rest of the interior. I didn't even know what you were talking about until I went out and looked at mine.
Maybe a photo of yours would be helpful to see if something is different. I certainly wouldn't say mine is unattractive - unless by un-attractive you mean that it doesn't attract the eye;). Mine is barely noticeable.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
The steering column shroud is plastic with a leather or vinyl "bellows" to accommodate the titling and telescoping of the wheel. When shipped, it will be wrapped in thin white foam sheeting, kind of like what a lot of monitors/tvs/displays ship in to protect the finish/screen.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
951 Posts
The steering column shroud is plastic with a leather or vinyl "bellows" to accommodate the titling and telescoping of the wheel. When shipped, it will be wrapped in thin white foam sheeting, kind of like what a lot of monitors/tvs/displays ship in to protect the finish/screen.
The bellows you are referring to on my Trailhawk is a thin, fabric covered, flexible, foam. It spans the area between the stationary knee bolster and the tilting part of the column. It is out of sight unless you go looking for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
remove bottom foam?

The top view looks like what you describe with a vinyl covering. This seems more permanent. Under the column, it looks more like foam sheeting but doesn't easily come loose, which made me think it was supposed to be there permanently. Check out my photos from above and below.

I have also included a photo of a button that seems to be stuck there as an after thought. I searched the forum because I saw a thread about that before but the reporter of that strange button showed a pic with a phone on in. Mine has a circle diagram on it. Strange. Anyone have an insights?

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks the same but yours is cleaner

The bellows you are referring to on my Trailhawk is a thin, fabric covered, flexible, foam. It spans the area between the stationary knee bolster and the tilting part of the column. It is out of sight unless you go looking for it.
It looks to be the same but mine is not neatly tucked behind the wheel like yours. I guess it is supposed to be there and maybe I can push it behind the steering column. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Might be for the same thing as that other thread even though the icon looks a little different. In the other thread it was the button for the Mopar Electronic Vehicle Tracking System.
Ask your dealer if they installed that in yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.