Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Fog Light Housing keeps Burning Out. Both my Fog Light Housings have been both replaced twice. (See Picture) What's the solution here? I have to believe this must be happening to any renegade owner using their fog lights except those who have made modifications.

I have noticed there is a small Vent Cap on the Housing that can be removed. Do you think removing this would keep the heat from building up? (See Other Picture)

I have heard mixed feedback from people using LED light bulbs here for fog lights. Would that solve the problem of the housing burning? Some people say they run hotter than regular bulbs. Others say they solve the problem

Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Rim Tread
Automotive tire Finger Gas Font Auto part

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
463 Posts
Pretty strange. Maybe try the LED bulb? If the problem keeps happening with normal halogen incandescents, what’s the harm in swapping?

Also, just noticed this post where someone’s selling their parts. Those fog lights might be worth looking at before buying brand new again.

·
Registered
2017 renegade trailhawk 9 spd auto glacier metallic, preferred package 27E
618 Posts
My Fog Light Housing keeps Burning Out. Both my Fog Light Housings have been both replaced twice. (See Picture) What's the solution here? I have to believe this must be happening to any renegade owner using their fog lights except those who have made modifications.

I have noticed there is a small Vent Cap on the Housing that can be removed. Do you think removing this would keep the heat from building up? (See Other Picture)

I have heard mixed feedback from people using LED light bulbs here for fog lights. Would that solve the problem of the housing burning? Some people say they run hotter than regular bulbs. Others say they solve the problem

. View attachment 2396352551 . View attachment 2396352550
i run my fog lights when ever my headlights are on, with no problems, they must not being cooled down while driving. try the replacement with the vent open and see what happens

·
Super Moderator
4,403 Posts
Do your fingers come in contact with the bulbs when you put them in?

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
No issues here and I replaced mine with LED bulbs.

However in the UK we get minimal use of the fog lights due to "Lighting Laws" for vehicles hence fog lights are extremely limited in their usage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My fog lamp housings are worse. Whoever adjusted the bulb aim. The bulbs were adjusted so far to one side, the heat from the bulb melted the silver reflective cone causing the lens to get a very dark tint.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have not one problem with mine

·
Registered
2018 Renegade Latitude
142 Posts
Did you replace the original bulbs with a higher wattage at one time? With fog lights brighter isn't better. The light beam should be low and flat so as not to reflect back at the driver. LED replacements should not generate as much heat as Halogen and many of them have built in heatsinks. The only problem I can think of arising from swapping to LED would be the canbus reporting a bulb failure unless you make sure to get canbus compatable units.

Also, what is the debris in the bottom of the housing?

Reactions: Marek K

·
Registered
798 Posts
The only problem I can think of arising from swapping to LED would be the canbus reporting a bulb failure unless you make sure to get canbus compatable units.
And the fact that you're using an LED bulb in a housing that's designed for a halogen bulb. Optics are very precise, and you're likely not to get a good beam pattern -- low, wide, and flat.

·
Registered
2 Posts

2019 Renegade, switched to Phillips LED fog light bulbs. No issue with the original for the LED's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts