Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that my passenger side fog light lens was missing. When I started looking at like t I thought maybe someone busted it out. But the chunks of the lens what are still in there look like they were blown outward and the lamp itself has a black tip on it. Has anyone heard of this? When there’s more light I’ll get a better picture so you can see how the glass is protruding outward in the housing
Tire Wheel Car Motor vehicle White

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Welcome!

Those should be H11 halogen bulbs in your fog lights (my 2021 Trailhawk has LED fog lights). H11 bulbs have black tips, so that the glowing filament doesn't dazzle straight to the front.

Gas Finial Toy Font Metal

Also, your bulb appears intact -- so it didn't explode.

(Note that halogen bulbs can explode; particularly if you handle the capsule with bare fingers and get skin oil on the glass, which can then super-heat and cause glass failure. But yours didn't.)

So my bet is that you got hit by a rock, that just happened to break the lens so the shards are protruding outward...

·
Super Moderator
4,522 Posts
and enjoy the forum!
I agree 100% with Marek K I bet a rock hit it.

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
Could have been smashed by a rock or something. It could also have just been hit by a rock or something and made a chip that caused a stress point in the lens that couldn't tolerate heating and cooling. If you put in higher wattage ultra bright bulbs the odds of that happening go up as the change in temp gets greater.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts