Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Trailhawk came with keyless entry and stop/start and I've basically come to an entirely different view of how to treat my keyring. What used to be "car keys" has morphed into more of a "toolset" since the key function to the Jeep is all proximity based now. The future, right?

I just make sure to keep my keys in my pocket and I'm pretty much good to go. Since it stays on my person all the time now, I basically have lightened my load and reduced the sheer amount of things on my keyring. I've separated out my other specialty keys to their own ring that stays in my bag. If I'm going running or doing something athletic, I'll typically take just the keyfob off the clasp to keep it simple.

My keyring is now a quick detach clasp with a toy raygun keychain (because I am a child at heart and enjoy the pew pew noise it makes). It holds a bunch of mini-caribiners that contain:

- House key
- Leatherman Brewzer - beer opener, philips head screwdriver (mainly beer opener..)
- LUX-PRO LP130 keychain flashlight (found at Lowes for 5 bucks, awesome investment)

What has everyone else done since going car key-less? Anyone else have any cool/useful pocket tools?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
What has everyone else done since going car key-less? Anyone else have any cool/useful pocket tools?
Mine doesn't have the Start/Stop but I found that the key/keyless entry remote is so big and not what I was used to that I had to rearrange my keyring too. I didn't like the extra weight on it so I took off a couple door keys that I don't use daily. Also took off my house key that was a key/bottle opener combo which made it kinda bulky. Now I just keep that key in my bag on my Leatherman tool thingy. So on my actual keyring to drive with is now just the Jeep remote and two of my favorite keychains - including a Darth Vader mini fig. :)

This is really nice!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I don't like a bunch of stuff on my car "key." I just carry the keyfob in my pocket for my Renegade and the Dodge. My '09 Dodge had a fob that you stick in the dash and turn "like" a key (no other things attached to it). And even my old 1997 car, I had the fob with the unlock/lock button and a single key for the ignition.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thumbs up for the Sierra Nevada Opener!
Probably paid a little too much for that as a souvenir when visiting their brewery several weeks ago in Asheville, NC. Awesome tour at least and it came to be handy!

So on my actual keyring to drive with is now just the Jeep remote and two of my favorite keychains - including a Darth Vader mini fig. :)
In prior keychains past, I had an R2D2 Minifig and a Red Brick. I haven't decided which one to put on the keychain now, but something may replace my raygun...

·
Registered
119 Posts
i am trying to get used to mine too. but am i being paranoid with this new technology? what happens when the battery runs out on the fob or what are other issues of not having an actual key. obviously try a new battery or your spare to open but what if you are not a home at the time? can you lock yourself out that way? what if your car battery is dead? how will you access the bonnet if you cannot get inside your car? I have a self defence key chain on mine

·
Registered
138 Posts
i am trying to get used to mine too. but am i being paranoid with this new technology? what happens when the battery runs out on the fob or what are other issues of not having an actual key. obviously try a new battery or your spare to open but what if you are not a home at the time? can you lock yourself out that way? what if your car battery is dead? how will you access the bonnet if you cannot get inside your car? I have a self defence key chain on mine
There is a key inside the keyfob. push the little slide switch on the back

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
As mentioned, there is a key for the driver's door that is stored in the fob. If the fob is dead, use this "emergency" key to open the driver's door and then you can get into your car.

If the car battery is good but the fob battery is dead, holding the end of the keyfob in close proximity to the start button then pushing the button with the fob will start the car. This procedure is explained in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So here's a new one... the plastic loop to attach my keyfob to a keychain just broke. Anyone know if this is covered under warranty?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts