Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting really close to purchasing a Renegade, but the electric parking brake is of concern to me. A problem with a previous vehicle makes me wonder about the Renegade. This time of the year we have thawing during the day resulting in slush on the streets being splashed to the vehicle underside and freezing. These conditions produced a freezing of the front disc brake pad to the rotor which resulted in the pads being ripped off when the vehicle was moved the next morning. This taught me not to use the hand brake during the fall and spring. Now if the Renegade’s electric brake will be applied when the vehicle is parked for the evening in freezing temperatures, does this produce a situation where the brake pads may be damaged while moving the vehicle in the morning? Am I just concerned about a non-problem or is there a problem. What do you folks think about my comment?

This forum is just great!!!! Thanks To All

·
Registered
607 Posts
Getting really close to purchasing a Renegade, but the electric parking brake is of concern to me. A problem with a previous vehicle makes me wonder about the Renegade. This time of the year we have thawing during the day resulting in slush on the streets being splashed to the vehicle underside and freezing. These conditions produced a freezing of the front disc brake pad to the rotor which resulted in the pads being ripped off when the vehicle was moved the next morning. This taught me not to use the hand brake during the fall and spring. Now if the Renegade’s electric brake will be applied when the vehicle is parked for the evening in freezing temperatures, does this produce a situation where the brake pads may be damaged while moving the vehicle in the morning? Am I just concerned about a non-problem or is there a problem. What do you folks think about my comment?

Applying the parking brake is optional. It doesn't have to go on automatically when you put it in park.
Copperhead is correct. In other words, the electric parking brake NEVER automatically applies itself when you park your Renegade. It is NOT automatic. You have to physically pull the little electric parking brake lever up in order to electronically activate the parking brake - so you can still choose not to apply it like you did with your old car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
In other words, the electric parking brake NEVER automatically applies itself when you park your Renegade. It is NOT automatic. You have to physically pull the little electric parking brake lever up in order to electronically activate the parking brake - so you can still choose not to apply it like you did with your old car.
Well, yes and no. The automatic parking brake is OPTIONAL, so if the option is selected (as it was on my Renegade when I purchased it), the parking brake will automatically apply when: a) the auto transmission is placed in Park, or b) on the manual transmission when the ignition is in the off position. It will also automatically disengage when you start to drive. If the automatic option is activated, you'll need to go into the settings through U-Connect and disable it if you don't want it on. I didn't know mine was activated (or that it was even an option!) until I noticed that the brake came on when I turned off the ignition and started to get out of the vehicle. I was reaching for the switch to activate it, when it came on by itself.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well, yes and no. The automatic parking brake is OPTIONAL, so if the option is selected (as it was on my Renegade when I purchased it), the parking brake will automatically apply when: a) the auto transmission is placed in Park, or b) on the manual transmission when the ignition is in the off position. It will also automatically disengage when you start to drive. If the automatic option is activated, you'll need to go into the settings through U-Connect and disable it if you don't want it on. I didn't know mine was activated (or that it was even an option!) until I noticed that the brake came on when I turned off the ignition and started to get out of the vehicle. I was reaching for the switch to activate it, when it came on by itself.
Now that is something new! Pretty slick indeed. Most of these new cars these days have electric parking brakes that will automatically come off when you start to drive, but this is the first one that I have heard of that you can set to automatically come on.

·
Registered
211 Posts

You can change it in the setting. You don't have to have the parking break enabled if you don't want it to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.