Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, rolled Lil'Red up on ramps on Saturday and crawled around a bit. I remember this being a lot easier 15 years ago when I did this for my '98 XJ, :eek:

The entire walk-through is on my Facebook page;
- Front Skid Plate Template

But here's a quick pic of what I came up with;

Next will be to get to the fuel-tank area... Sometime this week, I hope I'll have time, :)

· Registered
37 Posts
I would recommend putting an access panel or whole in the skid plate for access to the oil drain. Just a thought. Biggest annoyance with my trailhawk. But I plan on adding a panel with nutplates on the back to be able to access my plug easier.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
The Trailhawk skid plate has a cut-out where the exhaust pipe heads rearward. My guess is that it is cut out to prevent any contact when the engine moves or tiny rocks get kicked up on the skid plate itself.

Reactions: LittleRedJeep

· Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would recommend putting an access panel or whole in the skid plate for access to the oil drain. Just a thought. Biggest annoyance with my trailhawk. But I plan on adding a panel with nutplates on the back to be able to access my plug easier.
Yea, I've seen rough pics of the TH skid plate. Any extra dip, slot, hole, panel, nut, and bolt is one more thing to get hooked on. A skid plate is not only for protection but also supposed to help you from getting hung up. The entire thing will be in place by likely 8 bolts. I don't mind an extra 8 bolts for an oil change, :)

The Trailhawk skid plate has a cut-out where the exhaust pipe heads rearward. My guess is that it is cut out to prevent any contact when the engine moves or tiny rocks get kicked up on the skid plate itself.
I noticed that. A spacer bar (likely square tubing) a bit below the cat will give added strength so the plate will stay away from things, and keep things as smooth as possible., :)

· Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, after checking out numerous skid plates available online, I've decided to go with 3/16 inch A36 Steel Plate.

I've been able to find it fairly reasonably priced. About $95 for a 48"x48" sheet.

Only problem, the online sellers I've found so far are hitting up a shipping fee of upwards of $160. I'll be hitting the local stores this weekend to see if I can find what I need, without getting soaked for shipping fees, :)

· Registered
43 Posts
So, after checking out numerous skid plates available online, I've decided to go with 3/16 inch A36 Steel Plate.

I've been able to find it fairly reasonably priced. About $95 for a 48"x48" sheet.

Only problem, the online sellers I've found so far are hitting up a shipping fee of upwards of $160. I'll be hitting the local stores this weekend to see if I can find what I need, without getting soaked for shipping fees, :)
Lil Red any updates to your skid plate build?

· Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lil Red any updates to your skid plate build?
Nope, it started getting cold out (Winter in upstate NY, and a garage with no heat) and so I hung up most of the time-consuming upgrades until Spring - which has finally arrived! WooHoo! :)

So now it's time to get back outdoors and play with things again. I haven't even Googled skid-plates for our Ren's since like November. For all I know there's an acceptable and affordable alternative now that they've been around for over a year, :)

· Registered
1,633 Posts
How much would it cost to just buy a Trailhawk skid plate? Or maybe get one from a junkyard (if available).

· Registered
580 Posts
Yea, I've seen rough pics of the TH skid plate. Any extra dip, slot, hole, panel, nut, and bolt is one more thing to get hooked on. A skid plate is not only for protection but also supposed to help you from getting hung up. The entire thing will be in place by likely 8 bolts. I don't mind an extra 8 bolts for an oil change, :)

I noticed that. A spacer bar (likely square tubing) a bit below the cat will give added strength so the plate will stay away from things, and keep things as smooth as possible., :)
I agree with keeping the skid plate as smooth as possible to decrease the chance of any edge getting snagged.

Oil changes can be performed by sucking the oil out from above through the dipstick tube with a vacuum pump like Mityvac or similar.

Is the oil filter accessible from the top of the engine on either 1.4T or 2.4?

· Registered
105 Posts
I agree with keeping the skid plate as smooth as possible to decrease the chance of any edge getting snagged.

Oil changes can be performed by sucking the oil out from above through the dipstick tube with a vacuum pump like Mityvac or similar.

Is the oil filter accessible from the top of the engine on either 1.4T or 2.4?
yes, OF is accessible from above.

· Registered
234 Posts
Okay, rolled Lil'Red up on ramps on Saturday and crawled around a bit. I remember this being a lot easier 15 years ago when I did this for my '98 XJ,

The entire walk-through is on my Facebook page;
- Front Skid Plate Template

But here's a quick pic of what I came up with;

Next will be to get to the fuel-tank area... Sometime this week, I hope I'll have time,
Is this to replace the TH skid or to add one onto a non-TH?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.