Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 1.4 6M/T. Design flaw with the muffler? Below zero temps has cause water to freeze in the low point in my muffler making it so the car won’t start until it’s thawed. The “mechanic” in my town says to drill a tiny hole. Umm no. Any other advice?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
This is an old topic and I'm only here a couple of years.

I know that a quick search of the forum will provide the solution but this is beer night and I'm not searching, just telling.

Drilling a hole is the wrong answer.

Sorry. 🍻🍻

·
Registered
16’ 500X Pop, Rosso, 1.4T/M6, 18” O.Z. 45th Anniversary wheels, H&R springs, Momo shift knob, K&N dr
35 Posts
This is an old topic and I'm only here a couple of years.

I know that a quick search of the forum will provide the solution but this is beer night and I'm not searching, just telling.

Drilling a hole is the wrong answer.

Sorry. 🍻🍻
The Corsa Touring exhaust on my last truck had a small hole in the low point of the muffler from the factory.

·
Registered
304 Posts
There is a bulletin I believe in regards to this. The fix is to drill a small weep hole in the muffler, which is totally acceptable. Most mufflers have a small hole drilled from the factory, some don't. If you want to drive the vehicle in the cold, this is a proper and common fix.

Reactions: FiatPower

·
Registered
87 Posts
There is a bulletin I believe in regards to this. The fix is to drill a small weep hole in the muffler, which is totally acceptable. Most mufflers have a small hole drilled from the factory, some don't. If you want to drive the vehicle in the cold, this is a proper and common fix.
I was just on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website and stumbled upon the TSB you mentioned above, here's a link for anyone who is interested: TSB 09-004-20

And just as you said, drilling a small hole is their solution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts