Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I would like to share with you my experience on the fuel consumption on my Jeep 2.4l 2015 - 16k miles on it.
The jeep was brought from the US to Europe and after 2-3 tanks i realized that my Jeep's fuel consumption is VERY poor and was very surprised on the results.

Tank no. 1 - 13,49 l/100km - 17.63 MPG
50/50; City/Highway
Tank no. 2 - 15,93 l/100km - 14.77 MPG
100% City stop and go
Tank no. 3 - 16.06 l/100km - 14.65 MPG
100% City stop and go
Tank no. 4 - 14.05 l/100km - on half tank small repair, that the reason of the lower consumption. 16.74 MPG
100 City stop and go

The jeep is very delicate on the gas pedal and on the way you drive it. so my story starts once i realized that i was doing 250 Km per tank - very little and with this result i would prefer to drive a v6 or v8 car :)
started to investigate and there was no computer issues/errors etc. one mechanic told me that after reading the results of the computer that i have an issue with the front Lambda sensor and i need to replace it. Did not really know, if this was the case, as the computer did not show any alerts, but after filling up the car after 250KM o took the risk and changed it.
i'm still not fully happy on the result but i it drooped my consumption to 13.5/100KM and please note that the average is 95% city stop and go in the traffic.

Does anyone have any other knowledge on what else can make the consumption bad? air in tires, geometry, convergence, is all good.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Welcome Polaco, there are literally tons of posts regarding poor consumption on all the Jeep range within the forum.

Above your post is a long gray box that says "search community". Type in "fuel consumption" then press the magnifying glass to see all the posts.

This topic arises weekly and then we never see the original poster again.

It appears to be the 2.4 Trailhawk that is suffering the most.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

I went from 26.4 MPG to around 16.9 MPG over the last year. I blame it mostly on weight added. I added almost 1000 pounds with a pair of bumpers, winch, rock rails, larger wheels and tires and a lift kit.

Maybe I will try replacing to upper o2 sensor to see if I can get any improvement...

Thank for the input.

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
With the AWD models with the 2.4l engine, the vehicle is embarrassingly thirsty for what it is doing. Jeep takes more measures than most competitors to wring out more fuel economy and does worse than most of them.

I can only give you two pieces of advice.
1) if you can drive with the AC off, drive with the AC off. The defogger turns on the AC. I drive in very stop and go traffic, and about the best I can do in the summer with the AC running is 17.8 MPG. That nice time of year when it isn't too hot or cold and I can have windows up and no AC and becomfortable, I can get about 19.1mpg for the same driving.
2) Drive smoothly. This engine is tuned a lot like a turbo engine for some reason and dumps in a ton of fuel at the least sign of knock, and any big throttle delta seems to move it into that area.

Tires matter. If you are running AT tires, expect to lose about a mile per gallon.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I watched a TV programme that suggested any speed up to 50mph with an open window is acceptable for air conditioning in any weather (depending upon your view).

However any speed above 50mph should use the air-con.

·
Registered
31 Posts
wow! I have a 2016 Renegade Lattitude and I drive it 2-3 times a week. 50/50 on highway and local streets. Current gas mileage on dash is 27.3. I have gone as high as 29 with real careful driving. I had lent the jeep to a friend for a couple days and he returned the jeep and I noticed the gas mileage had dropped to 17 mpg! I have no idea why but a short ride with him driving told me all. He was a jerky driver with lot of brake use and heavy acceleration and never let it coast. I guess that says it all. 1 Jeep, 2 very different drivers with extreme mileage variation!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Click the link to another post I made on this forum and keep in mind I drive the diesel Longitude 4x4 2.0L:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll just mention that I have the 18 ich tires.

The problem is that I don't do long distances - 5-7 km one-way and back in stop and go traffic. The european city is different than the us :(
But I have lower 2.5 l on the fuel consumption so pretty happy.

The diesels are perfect on the Mpg..

Wysłane z mojego MI 9 przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
985 Posts
I had the option of Diesel or Petrol when buying. My previous 6 cars were all diesel so it was a no-brainer for me to pick another with the emphasis being on fuel consumption as a primary consideration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts