Jeep Renegade Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Out of curiosity, I checked under the gas door of a 2016 TH at a local Jeep dealer--no cap. Hmmm. It would seem to make a lot of sense, especially on a TH model (which, one assumes, might get a bit dusty on occasion).

I'll have to check for this when I get my own--if it is delivered without the rubber cap, I may insist they supply one for me.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm finding it very odd that this cap seems to be a somewhat arbitrary part. It may not be required, but dammit, as a "belt and braces" guy, I'd kinda like to have it. The better sealed my fuel tank is, the better; I kinda like the idea of having it capped.

As long as the cap has facility for venting, of course. Anyone with a cap having fuel tank venting issues?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hmmmm. That cap thingy gives me an idea. I will keep my eye out for a simple rubber cap about that same size and just fit it on the filler neck. If I find the right size, it should just push on and stay there. With the filler door shut, it shouldn't fly off. That should keep out any contaminants. It won't have to be attached to the filler door.

Reactions: rsanges

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hmmmm. That cap thingy gives me an idea. I will keep my eye out for a simple rubber cap about that same size and just fit it on the filler neck. If I find the right size, it should just push on and stay there. With the filler door shut, it shouldn't fly off. That should keep out any contaminants. It won't have to be attached to the filler door.
My buddy's new 2016 Dodge Ram pickup truck has a little plastic cap that fits over the filler neck (which is equipped with the same type of "capless" system as the Renegade). I get the feeling that, although the engineers might feel the capless system is fine without a cover, many consumers (like me) might feel a bit more secure with a cap of some type in place.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just checked my 2016 US Latitude and it has this rubber cap. My previous 2015 did not have it. I'm not sure of its purpose though as the door has a rubber seal around it. Anyone care to wildly speculate?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
If you want a cap for the filler try a cap off a Windex spray can that is 2 1/2" inside diameter. Fits perfect with no mod necessary. Gas door closes fine. I think the cap off any spray can with a 2 1/2" diameter would work, it looks like a lot of other spray cans. Even if you only use it offroad it sure is a lot better than spending the big bucks for a Mopar one.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you want a cap for the filler try a cap off a Windex spray can that is 2 1/2" inside diameter. Fits perfect with no mod necessary. Gas door closes fine. I think the cap off any spray can with a 2 1/2" diameter would work, it looks like a lot of other spray cans. Even if you only use it offroad it sure is a lot better than spending the big bucks for a Mopar one.
Love this kind of low-tech solution--works just as well, I'm sure, and if it breaks or is lost, easily replaced. My buddy's Dodge truck has a plastic cap from the factory...

·
Registered
7 Posts
To much high tect stuff, why not a fuel door and the old screw cap!
Patriot guy here, but looking at renegades, just want to read up and find out what owners think about the renegades if and any problems.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Why does Jeep change things halfway through production years. My 2016 TH has the rubber cap. Sounds like earlier versions did not, as well as later versions. Matching wheels, premium/beats audio speaker numbers changing. Drives me nuts when they just arbitrarily change things.

@Teddy , see my sig for my problems so far. I'm already starting to consider lemon law after my 5th service engine light (2 in the last 2 days) in less than 10k miles and one TCM changed out.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
845 Posts
MacGyver

I was a little jelly of the vehicles equipped with the supplemental, attached filler cap, so I made one. I know it's not pretty, but nothing there is permanent either.

It's made from a spray cleaner cap, cut down about 1/2 inch, with a couple of pieces of carved foam (from a cushion floor mat). It's held on with some 3M industrial "Velcro".

The foam makes up for the odd angle and allows some compression to hold the cap firmly in place. I can see it lining up with the filler just before the door closes. I know it's not completely dust tight, but I figure it might help keep some sand/debris out of the filler neck.

Looking at the door design a little closer (while I was working on this), the area on the vehicle (not the door) appears to have a sealing lip. Upon closer inspection, the lip does not actually contact the door.

I probably paint the whole thing black just make it look a little better.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Why does Jeep change things halfway through production years.
Jeep are not the only manufacturer that does this. Renault used to do this as well, whether they still do, I don't know. Many times we would go to the parts department and be told that a chassis number is needed as Renault changed something during the production run.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's called a "running change". Jeep is not the only manufacturer of cars or any other item to do this. Lots of factors come into play. Design not quite right, supplier not ready, blah blah blah.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.