Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my car back from body shop and the fuel door will not latch. Had someone back into it in a parking lot and had the rear quarter panel repaired just behind the fuel door. Can someone post a picture of what the latch looks like on the car side or explain it. I can see a small metal peice but nothing else's in there and don't know if something is missing. I will be taking it back if I can't fix it but the shop is a small family run shop and will be closed until after the 1st. I don't really want to drive around with it open if I don't have to.

Thanks.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Generally, a "socking pin" is grabbed/released by the lock mechanism. If the lock is electrically actuated, maybe the body shop mechanic forgot to connect the electric connector to the lock. Access could be from behind the interior trim cover in the cargo area or from the wheel well - I wish I could be more specific, but maybe this info helps you getting started.

My Audi uses a vacuum-actuated pin (all locks are vacuum-actuated) that pushes into/retracts from the catch in the fuel door.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I don't think it is electronic. Push it in and it pops open, push in and it catches. The latch on the car side looks like there is nothing there for it to catch on. There is a small pin but it has moved around and could possibly just be loose in there.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Since there is no lockable gas cap, the hatch must be lockable by law. Looks like when the electronic lock component fails the lock fails in the unlocked position, which you would expect, since otherwise you would not be able to gas up.

I see a locking pin on the mechanism on the fuel filler door and a catch/release mechanism next to the fuel filler. The mechanical release (push fuel filler door) works per your description. The fuel filler door should be locked if the vehicle is locked.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This got me curious so I went out to the garage and checked ours to see if it locked when the doors are locked. It does not lock when the doors are locked. I locked our car and the pressed on the fuel filler door and it still opened. There is a small pin with a rubber boot that goes into a small hole, but I didn't see a latch.

Reactions: Haydora

·
Registered
580 Posts
This got me curious so I went out to the garage and checked ours to see if it locked when the doors are locked. It does not lock when the doors are locked. I locked our car and the pressed on the fuel filler door and it still opened.
That's odd. On most cars the fuel filler door remains locked unless either the fuel filler door or all doors are unlocked. On my Audi the fuel door cannot be locked/unlocked independently from the doors.

If the fuel door cannot be locked, then how do you prevent fuel theft, unless you install a lockable cap?

There is a small pin with a rubber boot that goes into a small hole, but I didn't see a latch.
Examine the pin. It has either a ball-shaped end or a groove near the end that can lock the pin into place in the latch. The latch mechanism is spring loaded. When you push the filler door in, the latch disengages the pin and the door opens. But the filler door really should be permanently lockable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will look for an electrical connector but I know I have opened it before with the car locked. I don't think that is the problem as it will not latch shut at all. It has the pin on the door that goes in the small hole but when I push to latch in nothing happens. It remains open.

Is there anything on the car side inside that small hole that looks like it should catch on.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Well, looks like a lockable fuel filler door or gas cap is not a legal requirement. In that case I would definitely add a lockable cap to prevent fuel theft and mischief (sugar, sand etc being thrown in by evil clowns). I have a capless fuel filler on my Audi, but only because the fuel filler door is lockable.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I will look for an electrical connector but I know I have opened it before with the car locked. I don't think that is the problem as it will not latch shut at all. It has the pin on the door that goes in the small hole but when I push to latch in nothing happens. It remains open.

Is there anything on the car side inside that small hole that looks like it should catch on.
Everyone who has a Renegade seems to say the fuel filler door is not permanently lockable.

It opens when you push it in a little, right? That's how it's supposed to work. The catch/release for the pin on the door is inside/behind the hole you see. What do you think is wrong with yours?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think something is missing on the car side in the hole. What ever is supposed to lock onto the pin on the door. I don't know what it should look like so I can't tell if something is missing. May just have to wait and make the shop fix it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just looked at my filler door and I noticed 2 things. 1 when I look into a small slot just below the latching pin flush with the door I can see something with 3 pins. Could this be a relay? The second thing I noticed is a hole going into the hinge and a hole just below it that could be going into the door jam. Could this be where an electrical wire could run if I had a locking door?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think something is missing on the car side in the hole. What ever is supposed to lock onto the pin on the door. I don't know what it should look like so I can't tell if something is missing. May just have to wait and make the shop fix it.
Why do you think some part is missing?

Are you trying to say the fuel filler door lock doesn't click into place when you close the door?

The manual says pushing on the indent in the fuel filler door will release the door. That implies the door is spring loaded and will pop open at least enough so you can fully open the door.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Why do you think some part is missing?

Are you trying to say the fuel filler door lock doesn't click into place when you close the door?

The manual says pushing on the indent in the fuel filler door will release the door. That implies the door is spring loaded and will pop open at least enough so you can fully open the door.
In the US the door latches when pushed in and unlatches when pushed in again, but does not lock when the car is locked that would prevent anyone opening the fuel filler door. I think in the European cars have a wire that goes in the hole in the end of the hinge and runs up to a latch pin relay that sets the latch pin to lock or unlock. Just my guess.

·
Registered
580 Posts
In the US the door latches when pushed in and unlatches when pushed in again
Yes, the manual confirms that

but does not lock when the car is locked that would prevent anyone opening the fuel filler door.
Yes, US owners have confirmed that already, but at least one person has said that the at least the US Latitude has a filler cap door that locks and unlocks with the doors:
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...2082-renegade-accessories-lack-thereof-2.html

I am just trying to figure out why Majeto suspects something is wrong after the repair. He doesn't say what's functionlay wrong or different now, and his whole claim is based on his observation that a part may be missing. How can anyone diagnose anything if the problem is not clearly described?

Does the blasted door open and close properly or does it not?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im sorry I guess I did not make it clear. The door dose not latch shut. It is always unlatched and sticks out so that it can be opened. When you push the door in to latch it shut it dose not stay.

It dose not lock it's not supposed to. I just want it to latch shut so it is flush with the car and not always sticking out away from the car.

Push once it unlatches
Push again it latches - this is not happening. Dose not latch.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yeah that's definitely not right. The body shop mechanic may have forgotten to reinstall the latch. You could probe the opening with a small screwdriver and feel around if there's the certainly springy latch. How come they didn't notice before returning the car to you? That's pretty sloppy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I got the car it was shut but inspecting it later I opened it and it will not shut now. There is still a spring that pushes back when I push it in but it just won't catch and stay shut. I think a peice got lost when they put back on I just don't know how they closed it there.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.