Jeep Renegade Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we knew already from the window stickers some members had shared, now it is official on the EPA site, I am attaching a comparison with other segments comparable AWD vehicles
yes, the juke or the HR-V are not designed for off-roading, but the Crosstrek XV is,

after promising 30mpg for all trims, I think this is embarassing for jeep, but I know, some of you just won't care, I do.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I completely agree. They literally lost the purchase of everyone that needs good fuel economy and doesn't need a TrailHawk (only because it's more capable off road than the other examples in your picture).

Its fuel economy is abysmal compared to its competition. I am just thankful that fuel economy isn't my number one necessity. Either way, I've chosen the Cherokee TrailHawk because the price-point and fuel economy are too close together for such different vehicles and I feel I get more for my money with the Cherokee.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm not dissapointed at all. Fuel mileage is always a give & take. The shape hurts the Renegade a little, but it is the shape that is what attracted me to this vehicle. And maybe those others don't have the same torque as the Renegade. Power in a car is never free.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I agree with you on it being embarrassing, for them! Even more so at a time where 30MPG's is where you'd expect a compact like this to be at or within a few points of, especially when it's sitting in a segment with a vehicle like the HRV that does better:

·
Registered
953 Posts
It is lagging pretty far behind. They should have tried to keep up a little bit better. I am betting that they made sacrifices for the whole off-roading thing, but still that doesn't seem like a good enough excuse. After all, the Crosstrek is holding its own.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm not dissapointed at all. Fuel mileage is always a give & take. The shape hurts the Renegade a little, but it is the shape that is what attracted me to this vehicle. And maybe those others don't have the same torque as the Renegade. Power in a car is never free.
Agreed 100%, Also its hard to compare these other vehicles on the list.

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
OK, but here is the comparison that baffles me.

For the FWD, the kia soul is about the same, minus 3 more gears. For the AWD, the evoque is also 9 speed, and has 240 HP and simialr height and approach and departure angles, and is a bit heavier, and bigger yet pulls the same numbers with a sanely sized gas tank with bigger tires with a larger contact patch it has a 0.35 CD as opposed to the jeep's 0.36 though.

WTF? how did jeep manage to miss the mark so badly? It appears they had all the tools to get it done (or at least do a teensy bit better). Lots of gears, the CD, the right curb weight, etc. FCA failed to extract benefit from their eficciency measures somehow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For the HR-V, there is no comparison at all this is laughable..

"Power comes from a highly refined and responsive 1.8-liter SOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine with i-VTEC valvetrain producing a peak 138 horsepower at 6,500 rpm and 127 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,300 rpm (both SAE net). The engine is mated to a sporty and fuel-efficient continuously variable transmission (CVT) with Honda “G-design" shift logic"

Comparing the Range Rover Evoque which starts at over $41k? Lol

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
. . . engine with i-VTEC valvetrain producing a peak 138 horsepower at 6,500 rpm and 127 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,300 rpm . . .
That's the answer (see bold above). The Renegade has lots more power at a much lower (read usable) RPM. That takes more gas.

I would much rather have more power than a weak engine that gets better gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I would much rather have more power than a weak engine that gets better gas mileage.
Great point, thanks, that should help the low end power for the Trailhawk offroad and maybe a slightly larger tire.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
It's hard to compare the TRAILHAWK to these other vehicles because it far surpasses their off road capabilities. However, the non-TrailHawk trims are directly compared to the other vehicles on the list and they fare poorly in the fuel economy department.

You can always tell who wants the Renegade for its off-road capabilities because they are not disappointed with the MPGs. All the people that just wanted an AWD vehicle with good fuel economy are now going to strongly consider these other vehicles because the Renegade is quite unimpressive in fuel economy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
the fuel mileage ratings are always going to be subjective, there are so many variables here, quality of fuel, driving habits, tire pressure, altitude, you name it.

Crying over the difference between 26mpg and 30mpg of "official numbers"
is meaningless.

You also have to realize the fact that the Renegade much like the Honda element is like a big square toaster on wheels, you will have a mpg sacrifice for the sake of more usable space.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
It really all comes down to why you NEED or WANT the Renegade.

If you want or need a small AWD SUV that gets good gas mileage, the Renegade became less appealing when compared to the other vehicles in its segment.

If you want or need a small SUV with superior off road capabilities, the gas mileage doesn't matter as much and the Renegade far surpasses the other vehicles in its segment.

So most people that disagree on whether or not the fuel economy is perfect or disappointing, probably want or need the Renegade for different reasons. I personally do not require a vehicle with good fuel economy, but I can see how many people may be very disappointed with what the Renegade is rated for.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My big gripe is the size of the gas tank...it needs to be bigger simply because of the 24 MPG average. It needs a 15 gallon tank so it was closer to a 400 range mark. To me that is the biggest draw back to the renegade.

Scott

·
Registered
14 Posts
**Rant On**

To all the whiners:

If you are seriously having a sad-face-pity-party because Jeep promised 30 mpg or better and it's 29, 20-freaking-9 instead, then maybe it's better that you seem to be considering a Kia Soul or a Subaru instead. That 1 mpg difference is going to make or break your budget? Perhaps you shouldn't be considering a new car at all, cause it's a lot cheaper to buy used and apparently your finances aren't really in a good position.

Additionally, does anyone at all ever get precisely what the EPA estimates that you should? My step dad gets like 18 mpg combined in his 2010 Patriot, while I average 28 mpg in my 2007 Compass. Same engine size, different driving style. So, if you want to make better gas mileage than the EPA says the car can, I am the one who can give you great advice: don't drive like a jackass.

**Rant Off**

·
Registered
81 Posts
**Rant On**

To all the whiners:

If you are seriously having a sad-face-pity-party because Jeep promised 30 mpg or better and it's 29, 20-freaking-9 instead, then maybe it's better that you seem to be considering a Kia Soul or a Subaru instead. That 1 mpg difference is going to make or break your budget? Perhaps you shouldn't be considering a new car at all, cause it's a lot cheaper to buy used and apparently your finances aren't really in a good position.

Additionally, does anyone at all ever get precisely what the EPA estimates that you should? My step dad gets like 18 mpg combined in his 2010 Patriot, while I average 28 mpg in my 2007 Compass. Same engine size, different driving style. So, if you want to make better gas mileage than the EPA says the car can, I am the one who can give you great advice: don't drive like a jackass.

**Rant Off**
I'm sorry, but my takeaway from this is 'internet tough guy drives like grandma.'

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm sorry, but my takeaway from this is 'internet tough guy drives like grandma.'
I'm laughing here. Laughing because every car I've ever driven has had better mileage than indicated.

My takeaway from McCoy's rant is....dayam! Good driver! This guy knows how to drive.

**And yes, I'm one of the ones disappointed in the mileage**

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.