Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I tried to fill my fuel tank and failed. But you need to read the story.

I was returning home from my Caravan today and as I still had fuel in the tank decided to experiment a little. If it worked this would give me to 2 return journeys out of 1 tank of Diesel. Thats around 416 miles on mixed roads.

As a back up I carried an additional 20 Litres in a fuel can so that I could top up if and when the low warning fuel light appeared. That seemed quite logical and sensible knowing that I had reserve fuel that could easily be added to the tank. The fuel light came on around 10 miles from the house so I didn't show much concern as I was cruising at 55mph on the return leg.

Now the fun begins.

On the driveway I bring out the 20 litre can of diesel and it's quite heavy as you try and hold it whilst pressing the fuel nozzle into the capless fuel pipe. Not a chance was this working as the plastic fuel nozzle just kept bending and the cap wasn't for opening due to it's inherent anti syphon fuel flap. I pressed the small buttons inside the cap and tried to manually insert just the nozzle but alas that was to no avail.

Oh dear! Now I really do need to visit a fuel station and fortunately its basically at the end of my street and the fear of the engine sucking in all the dregs from the bottom of the tank is worrying me as I need to go up a little hill. I had images of no fuel going to the engine and only air thereby causing me to come to a grinding halt. I made it to the fuel station and filled up.

As most of you are aware I am an advocate of searching the forum to see if there may be an answer. I was amazed that the first hit on my search produced the answer to my dilemma but now I need to find the item that all Jeeps I am led to believe is kept beside the spare wheel. It is simply a piece of hardened plastic tubing with a small funnel at one end. Stick that into the capless fuel pipe and then your plastic fuel hose fits inside it and the fuel can now flow easily into the tank.

This is a link to the post I found. I understand it's an old post but I think the content is still relevant to each and every one of us. Try it yourself with an ordinary fuel filler and see for yourself that it doesn't work until used in conjuction with a Jeep fuel filler spout.

Jeep also gives you a adapter so if you need to use a gas can you can. Trying to use the can without the adapter won't work. See

I can't find any diagrams or other tech details but if you google capless fuel filler there are plenty of hits you can look at.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
290 Posts
Glad you didn’t get vaporlock ;) I always show this to my buddies who have capless systems as well, so they don’t get into a bind that they can easily get out of!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh you better believe I thought about VapourLock o_O That was my immediate thought when I couldn't get the nozzle to insert into the pipe. "Oh Freck!, WTF!!! Have I created a vaccum in my tank and that's why it won't open". :eek:

Not one of my best moments :cry::cry::ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
3,708 Posts
I keep 2 of the factory funnels one in a zip lock bag under the drivers seat and the other with the jack. Black bag on right has jack in it. Yep full size tire 235 65 R17!

Now it is hidden!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found it in a ziplock bag along with a spare, small ratchet strap. It was staring me in the face as I lifted the boot cover. There it was sitting atop my "lost" fluorescent orange safety jacket inside the full sized wheel.

What a fool I feel but on the other hand I've filled the Renegade and dont have to worry about fuel for next trip to the caravan for some more boat (sea) fishing on Monday :love:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts