Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to try a fuel additive. So silly question really - how to get it into the tank or to put it another way how do you defeat the 'flap' without using the a normal fuel gun? Filling up normally is straightforward, just aim the nozzle in the hole, push and the flap opens.

Ok no innuendos here this is a serious question.

Not only can't I get past the flap to get any additive in but neither can I get a spare can in - the plastic nozzle fails to open the flap.

So while additives may not matter - what happens if you run out of fuel?

Am I missing a trick or is mine just reluctant? Suffice to say none of my previous vehicles have had this 'flap'.

Jabber60

·
Registered
184 Posts
See attached image.
I don't think our funnel, supplied with the Jeep, is any longer than the plastic nozzle on a gas can. He's from the UK, which is why he has a security flap (I think). I'm guessing, and may be wrong, that the Jeeps destined for the U.S. don't have the flap, at least my Limited doesn't have one.

You may need a longer funnel. Have you checked in the spare tire area, like was mentioned in the previous post?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was wondering about putting in Slick 50, but would that in any way void the Maxcare warranty? Just trying to be careful. It cost too much to do something foolish and get it cancelled.

Mickee

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Most of the "make it really slippery" additives are junk. Not because they do nothing, but because they usually boil down to doing something the vehicle doesn't need by doing something bad like being corrosive.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't think our funnel, supplied with the Jeep, is any longer than the plastic nozzle on a gas can. He's from the UK, which is why he has a security flap (I think). I'm guessing, and may be wrong, that the Jeeps destined for the U.S. don't have the flap, at least my Limited doesn't have one.

You may need a longer funnel. Have you checked in the spare tire area, like was mentioned in the previous post?
All cap less systems have the security/anti siphon flap. The supplied funnel is the right diameter to release the cap. That is the reason the funnel is provided.

·
Registered
184 Posts
All cap less systems have the security/anti siphon flap. The supplied funnel is the right diameter to release the cap. That is the reason the funnel is provided.
I guess my powers of quick observation are a little off. I don't know how I could have missed that. Thanks

I guess I paid too much attention to the thread where someone mentioned it would be too easy to dump sugar in your gas tank because it was cap less, and there wasn't a locking cap available.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks - Niles, rsanges, wyliec and 77cherokee for your help. I found the funnel and it works just fine.

The additive I am considering is diesel power plus - dieselpowerplus.co.uk. I may try a chip later but not now as its too soon into the warranty. A colleague who drives 25k a year reckons he gets another 80 miles a tank - 15% wish. I'm sure variations exist around the world and economics will depend on local fuel prices. I can get a UK gallon now for less than £1 but time will tell if a) it improves anything and b) whether its cost effective for me/the Renegade (2.0 diesel).

Cheers
Jabber60

·
Registered
302 Posts
We don't have diesel Renegades in the US. That said, I drive a diesel Sprinter and do use additives. The low sulfur fuel mandated in the US since 2007 can use a little help with extra cetane, lubricity, and anti-gel in the winter.

If you were driving a gas powered Renegade I would not suggest any additives and I believe the owners manual will back me up on that score.

Occasionally in the winter you might get some bad gas (avoid a purchase right after they fill the station's tanks from a tanker) and want to add some "Dry Gas" to your tank. Avoid the cheap stuff with methanol (Methyl alcohol) and go with the mix that contains propanol (Isopropyl.) It is less damaging to your fuel line components and does a better job of absorbing water (also better than the ethanol in most gas sold now.)

·
Registered
580 Posts
I was wondering about putting in Slick 50, but would that in any way void the Maxcare warranty? Just trying to be careful. It cost too much to do something foolish and get it cancelled.

Mickee
I suppose you don't remember when Quaker State was sued over Slick 50 and had to pay customers their money back?

There may be times when a polyetheramine fuel additive like Chevron Techron or Red Line SL1 is in order (They do help keep injectors and intake valves cleaner), but I'd stay away from proven snake oils.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I guess my powers of quick observation are a little off. I don't know how I could have missed that. Thanks

I guess I paid too much attention to the thread where someone mentioned it would be too easy to dump sugar in your gas tank because it was cap less, and there wasn't a locking cap available.
That worry wart was me. But I can guarantee that I can get a sugar cube or a whole pound of sugar in that filler. I got a 30 inch screwdriver that will overcome that little flap in no time. I can also steal your fuel simply by punching a hole in the tank and draining the fuel into a bucket. Not that I would ever do anything like that unless the zombiecalypse happens.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I suppose you don't remember when Quaker State was sued over Slick 50 and had to pay customers their money back?

There may be times when a polyetheramine fuel additive like Chevron Techron or Red Line SL1 is in order (They do help keep injectors and intake valves cleaner), but I'd stay away from proven snake oils.

No, I do not remember that at all. I just remember my dad putting Slick 50 in everything we owned that had a motor. Thanks for telling me about this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I live in the UK and also have a diesel. It was my understanding the flap has 2 functions - the security feature referenced but also to prevent people putting petrol into a diesel tank and vice versa. The shape of the 2 nozzles are subtly different. The many car maintenance agencies (RAC, AA etc) all have vans to attend those who have filled with the wrong fuel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I know that a few service stations and garages in the UK still have the old type nozzles on the diesel pumps ( slightly larger and wont fit in the Renegade filler neck .. )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.