Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Fun Roads/Trails near Seattle?

14K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  sooogud 
#1 ·
I thought it would be fun to get a list going of some rougher roads that people have taken their Renegades on.

I'm making this specifically for trails near Seattle, but think it would be cool to see threads for other parts of the PNW here.

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Check out this site: http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/WABDR

We haven't done any of these yet but friends have and it sounds cool - definitely on our list. We spend a lot is time near Sultan and some of the access roads off upper Sultan Basin road are super fun - one in particular has huge runoff ruts that we plan to see if the Rene can handle. ��

For an added on-road bonus to your trip, go via I-90 / Preston/Fall City / Ben Howard Rd / Hwy 2 / Sultan Basin Rd. That drive is my happy place (once off I90 of course).

Oh, and can we come? Our TH is still goofing off in Italy. ��

#7 ·
im moving up to washington this coming weekend. id love to find some places to take my renegade out! Bremerton area.
I live in Bremerton :) See my post above yours about Tahuya. It's a good place to start. There's also a 4x4 Club in the area called Quadrapaws that does runs and stuff up there. They meet at the Silverdale bowling alley, All Star Lanes, the 2nd Weds of every month. I'm not a member but I've been on a run and to several of their meetings.

#9 ·
Here's another good site with a list of WA off road trails:

http://www.nwjeepn.com/WAtrails.htm

I've only been on the Tahuya trail and even though the sites lists it as easy, I wouldn't take my TH on some of the trails. They were hard enough to do in my lifted, oversized tires Wrangler, LOL! But if you've had a lot of experience off roading, then you might not have a problem.

#12 ·
Tried out the access roads around Lake Spada and Culmback Dam, and they were pretty great! Nothing too challenging but definitely had parts where 4x4 were helpful. Unfortunately the gate was closed by the actual dams, but there are some great trails near the entrance to that area.

Attachments

#15 ·
I just ordered my 2016 Trailhawk, so it will likely be a couple months before I get to join you all but I live on Sultan Basin so I love to hear about you coming out this way.

If you're near I-90, head over to Cle-Elum, follow it back to Salmon La Sac Campground, at the bridge, head up the hill to the right rather than crossing the bridge to the campground. Some great trails up in there. If you have some friends (with their own Jeep), try and find your way up to Lake Ann, just below Mount Stuart. Beautiful area with a few moderately difficult areas to get past. I did this with my Wrangler, but I suspect the Renny will make it as well if you have off-road experience, and a spotter, and possibly a portable come-along/winch.

For those of you (us) on Hwy 2, Has anyone been to Reiter since they .. re-vamped. Website says its limited to 1/2 mile of 4x4 now. Suck.

Note: If you go to Lake Ann, have a 2nd Jeep with you, do not try that trail solo. It's also REALLY helpful if you go with someone who knows the way, the last trail (the only hard one) where you leave the graveled logging roads to an actual trail, is hard to spot depending on time of year and how many others have cleared the way before you got there.

Also note: your in elevation, once you see snow. Stop, take pictures, turn around. I find too many stuck 4x4s in the snow. Ride down on back of my snowmobile is free, getting your Jeep back is not. Stick to the mud :)

-Dailach 10/21/15

#17 ·
Dear ReneSpaz,

Head to Monroe and take Hywy 2 toward Leavenworth. You will go thru Sultan, at the end of Sultan (last light) is Sultan Basin Road, turn North. Follow this road up ... and up .. and up. Just stay on the main road, eventually it will be come gravel. Most the main stuff is just logging roads, very easy. From the main road, there are small 'trails' you can squirrel around on. The trails very in length from short to shorter, but change as traffic goes thru year to year. Follow the ruts. I actually found a couple places to get the Wrangler stuck, but mostly it's just a pretty drive.

-- Note -- Lake Spada provides drinking water for most of King and Snohomish Counties. And the **** is CRAZZY tall on the back side.

-- Note -- if you have someone in your life with a sweet tooth, you MUST stop at the Sultan Bakery into or out of Sultan. It's just a must if you like 1500 calorie deserts.

Oh, and 1/2 mile up on Sultan Basin .. wave. That's where I am ... waiting .. for 3 more months .. for my Yellow Trailhawk.

#18 ·
Dailach,
Thanks for the notes. That's close enough I may shoot up there this weekend, depending on weather & snow levels.

I bought mine off the lot in April as I wanted it for the summer and didn't want to wait. At that point you couldn't order them, so I had to go with what was on the lot. I got about everything I wanted, and a bit extra, which is OK. I installed the hitch kit from Renegade Ready in August. It took it on a WA, CA, AZ, NV, OR, ID road trip over the summer and did some off-roading along the way. Nothing major though as I was mostly solo.

When you get yours maybe we can head up there, or elsewhere, together.

Thanks.

#20 ·
That one looks like this now. Couldn't quite get past it. :)

The dirt roads were good, but everything else was closed/blocked off.

Found one turn out that had a bit of a very short steep climb with some rocks, which we handled just fine. Was going to try the other side of it on the way back down, but missed it, and forgot to take pics.

Attached is another from the trip. Not a bad view. That and the bakery made the trip.

Attachments

#21 ·
No pics, but I checked out Middle Fork Road this weekend and it was prrretty great. The entire stretch is only open on weekends while under construction but there are some really rough (fun) patches. What was truly a fun drive was NF-100 [google maps] at the end of Middle Fork. It is a rough and rocky unpaved road with a couple spots that actually requires some 4x4 use, albeit short. We only drove maybe 50% of it's length due to time and we had just hiked Pratt River Trail. NF-110 goes for quite a ways and I passed multiple 4x4 vehicles on the way in and out with my TH being the smallest.

It's not extreme by any means but is a great drive for something thats only ~45mins away. Driving the whole thing from the start of Middle Fork Road to the end of NF-110 could easily take 1.5–2hrs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.