Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the past couple of days here in east Tennessee meant my first forays with the FWD Limited out on ice and snow. I was pleasantly surprised, as it handled things pretty well (I'm well used to driving a FWD in these conditions, especially Saabs in the 1980s, so I have a good comparison).

That being said, had to turn around in an ice covered parking lot and the Jeep started slipping and sliding a little bit. I wasn't worried at all, since I was driving about 5mph and had lots of clearance, but MAN did the Jeep start having a drama fit! The ESC light starts flashing and obviously a little bit of engine and brake take-over occurs. Really? Yes, my little car, it's okay... it's just ice.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah agreed - all the safety stuff is hard to get used to when you're driving in a slow, controlled manner. The manual even says that this stuff is disabled when in 4WD Low (for TH) because it interferes with the ability to do true off-roading :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Do you have winter tires installed, or the all seasons it came with? I went with a FWD too. I think there is confusion over AWD and 4wd, their capabilities, and what type of system different vehicles operate under. I'm not an off roader and my last vehicle was an Awd...but only when it turned on after slippage. I did get caught on a hill in snow once with that vehicle and had to shovel out. I decided to save the money, foregoing 4wd, and am going to buy winter tires instead. It should be better than 4wd/AWD with just all seasons..like the situation with my last vehicle. Something to think about if you have a FWD and live in an area that gets its fair share of cold winter...:)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am planning to go on a trip this weekend up a mountain, near a ski resort. For sure there will be snow.
I have the FWD as well and for this reason I bought the tire covers of Autosock.
http://www.autosock.co.uk/images/downloads/AutoSock_High_Perform_02.jpg

I have the 18" wheels (225/55/18) and the manual says that I cannot put snow chains on them. This is why I bought the tire covers.

I will let you know how I did... :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a great 36" of snow from the recent storm, The Renegade Pros, I got to work and back. The cons, (compared to my old Commander , lifted 2.5" with skid plates and after market "real" tires :) )
The renegade is too low, needs a lift. While I started cutting thre the snow with the "awful" factory tires, great and quiet on a clean road, terrible on a snowed on road, I found my jeep to get caught on the center due to the snow lifting the jeep and causing a loss of traction. I must say the snow was about 20" and i really cant fault the jeep on that one. The catalytic converter seems to sit the lowest on the engine, skid plates would be nice and maybe would have plowed the snow from causing that, as would a lift help too but cant fault the jeep too much at that.

Tow hooks: Just added and wished I had them prior :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrUd8IKORNQ

Otherwise I guess i got what I expected, just wished I would see a TH/Trailhawk vs a Regular Renegade and see if there drive systems will make a real difference in comparison to all the jeep vs other jeep models.
My biggest con was probable the engine /throttle response. Shifting from fwd to reverse to try and unstick the jeep was horrible with the throttle delay. I did put in 4x4 lock, and snow mode. The tires had slippage, but thats on them or JEEP for choosing those as stock! For a first snow test, and probably one of the worst snow falls in several years, I am overall pleased :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.