Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Trailhawk. Unlike some posts claim, when the car is off the gas cap door does not lock.
So anyone can open the door when the car is off. Has anyone figured out an install of a lock on that door,
like a stainless steel mailbox door lock or something similar? Thanks

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
We don't have locking gas lid on our little Jeeps in the USA!
Yeah. I'm not sure if there ever were any in previous model years. Some bits seem to be there, but I think they're for other-market Renegades.

I believe there's some kind of anti-siphoning feature inside, to keep hoses from being stuck down there. Nothing to keep thugs from drilling the plastic fuel tank itself from underneath...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am pretty sure the geometry of the gas filler tube makes it impossible or near impossible to siphon gas out of it anyway. It wouldn't stop someone from pouring water into your tank but if your worried about gas theft I really don't think it is an issue.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
When my renegade is locked I can open the gas door but it locks the opening and won't let me insert the nozzle into the capless filler.
I don't believe that to be true.
It's certainly not true on my 2021 Trailhawk.

Here's the emergency fuel funnel that came with the Trailhawk, long enough to get past the "flapper doors" in the filler opening:
Tape measure Ruler Office ruler Tool Kitchen utensil

And here's the Trailhawk, locked, with the funnel then inserted all the way in -- as far in as when unlocked:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Rim

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
When my renegade is locked I can open the gas door but it locks the opening and won't let me insert the nozzle into the capless filler.
For that to happen, there would have to be some type of electric lock on the filler neck to lock the filler flap. No car maker in the world would risk putting electricity where gas fumes reside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For that to happen, there would have to be some type of electric lock on the filler neck to lock the filler flap. No car maker in the world would risk putting electricity where gas fumes reside.
well, my volkswagen atlas does this. when the doors are locked, the fuel filler door is locked. but it has a traditional gas cap as well...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
well, my volkswagen atlas does this. when the doors are locked, the fuel filler door is locked. but it has a traditional gas cap as well...
Our two 2009 Mk5 VWs do that too. Except the fuel-filler flap is locked all the time, and has to be released electrically from the driver's door to fuel up -- with an electric solenoid at the flap.

And a traditional fuel cap too.

·
Super Moderator
2,327 Posts
My 2022 Compass has a locked fuel flap.
You have to press the button (stupidly placed next to the 3 hybrid mode buttons) to open it.
And it takes 3-5 seconds to open.
Bloody annoying.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The exterior flap is well outside the cap-sealed filler neck; totally different scenario. The capless filler neck would have to have the locking device inside the filler neck; way to dangerous. The other poster said his capless filler flap locks, it can not be done. Fuel door ? Certainly. Filler neck ? Nope.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The exterior flap is well outside the cap-sealed filler neck; totally different scenario. The capless filler neck would have to have the locking device inside the filler neck; way to dangerous. The other poster said his capless filler flap locks, it can not be done. Fuel door ? Certainly. Filler neck ? Nope.
Ah. You meant the small flap inside the filler neck -- Jeep calls it the "flapper door(s)" in the Owner's Manual, for some strange reason.

Problem is, a lot of times the outside hinged fuel door is also called a "flap." At initial reading, that's what I (and probably AlexZap) thought you were referring to.

Yes, an electrical device inside the filler neck might be a problem...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
On my 2015, the emergency funnel is in the tool kit with the jack and wheel wrench.
Yup, that's where it is in my 2021 Trailhawk.

On Renegades without spare tires, according to the Owner's Manual the funnel is in the Tire Service Kit.

The purpose of the funnel is to open the filler neck flap if using a fuel canister for emergency refueling. Apparently a lot of canister nozzles won't fit into the fuel filler neck and open the flap; that's what the funnel is for.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts