Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving and the gas gauge is showing 3 bars and and then the "low fuel" message is displayed. In my mind 3 bars should be about 1/4 tank of gas remaining. Is the gage not linear ? Since it displays "low fuel" and does not display miles remaining how many miles can I go ? I don't have a good feel if this means running out of gas very soon or not so soon.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am driving and the gas gauge is showing 3 bars and and then the "low fuel" message is displayed. In my mind 3 bars should be about 1/4 tank of gas remaining. Is the gage not linear ? Since it displays "low fuel" and does not display miles remaining how many miles can I go ? I don't have a good feel if this means running out of gas very soon or not so soon.
On the screen between the instrument cluster you can scroll to a screen that will show the estimated fuel mileage plus the estimated range left on the current amount of fuel.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the screen between the instrument cluster you can scroll to a screen that will show the estimated fuel mileage plus the estimated range left on the current amount of fuel.
Yes I have that screen up however it was showing a number of miles remaining and then it replaced that number with "low fuel". Seems like once the number gets to 60 km it changes to "low fuel". Probably because at that level it can't be accurate. I am more concerned about the 3 bars showing at this point. Like I said I don't believe the gauge is linear and looking for someone to comment about this.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Just take note of how much fuel it takes to fill the tank after the light goes on. Subtract that amount from the total tank volume (~12.7 Gallons, ~48 Liters). Average several tanks and you'll know how much fuel remains when the light goes on.

·
Super Moderator
3,504 Posts
With the 7" display, if you look at the divisions on the scale of the gauge, you will see red lines. That's where the fuel warning goes off. It is approximately 1.5 gallons left out of 12. The gauge is pretty linear based on an odb2 scan.

For the smaller dash display, I'm not sure what it is. I'd assume the reserve quantity would be the same.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Keep in mind that moden cars are designed to make it very difficult to actually run out of gas. The Low Fuel warning typically comes on when the range drops below 40 or 50 miles. The fuel level gauges are also generally skewed so that it will hit 'E' early, or analog gauges will go below 'E' before you actually run dry. I've seen cars flash warnings, beep at you, basically convince you that you will be stranded by the side of the road at any moment..then when you make it to the station and fill up you see there was at least a gallon and a half of fuel remaining.

Running dry is generally bad for fuel pumps on fuel-injected engines, so carmakers use these measures to keep it from happening.

My brother still manages to do it though.....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Fuel gauge Q, how much in tank when

Get fuel pump symbol? Is there reserve? The RTE (range to empty?) just says "low" rather than number of miles left.

Sorry if in wrong forum

·
Super Moderator
3,504 Posts
As far as I can tell, when the range goes to "low", you have about 1.2 gallons left. (US gallons)

·
Super Moderator
4,360 Posts
On ours we have 2.2 gal left when low comes on.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have a 48 litre tank. I last filled it within 1 mile of the light coming on.
It took 43.6 litres which means there was 4.4 litres left. (0.97 UK gallons, 1.16 US gallons)

So about a gallon but I would not risk going very far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've never ever seen such a rubbish range estimator in any car I've owned. It can vary by 300km because of one hill. It's close to useless.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
You've seen one that has come even close to correct?
All mine have been pretty close. Less accurate when tank is full obviously but pretty good. The car can never know how you are going to drive it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My wife's Taurus X is pretty good. The light comes on, and assuming similar topography from a few hours before the light, it claims 80 km's to empty (it estimates from average fuel consumption). I have run the Taurus X 60 km's on the light and had no issue. My TrailHawk claims "Low Range", but just before that happens, I am at 70 Kms range. I have run in "Low Range" for 60 kms, then filled up, about 45 litres (48 actually, I think) and all was good.

Level smooth road, few hills and no significant head wind, I would expect 65 kms from the light coming on. Any of those are off, I would reduce that by 30 to 50%. The Renegade estimates range from average fuel consumption as well. Mine is with a 2.4 petrol engine. Others may vary.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts