Jeep Renegade Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
A few days ago my low fuel indicator came on (and the range disappeared) when I was on the other side of town, so I decided to see how far I could go and how the fuel level indicator would react. I had one bar on the fuel gauge when this happened. I drove to a gas station near my home (about 19 miles from when the range disappeared), and there were NO bars left on the gauge. I filled up, and it took exactly 12 gallons, so that means I had about 3/4 gallon (3 liters) of fuel left based on the 12.7 gallon capacity. This was encouraging to me because when my Patriot's low fuel light comes on, you've got less than 20 miles before you completely RUN OUT of fuel and the motor stops. I've been averaging between 22-23 miles per gallon in my Renegade in the city. I've got a little over 1,000 miles on it in the two months I've owned it, so I've only filled it up a few times.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree...there are 12 bars on the fuel gauge, so I'd say each one represents approx. 1 gallon. If you got down to no bars and added 12 gallons, then here must be approx. 0.7 gallons of reserve....I think it states somewhere in the manual that there is approx. 1.5 gallons reserve when the light comes on(?).

In all my vehicles, whenever the light comes on I just reset trip odometer so I can judge how far I've gone and guesstimate how far I can go. I 've been averaging around 24.5mpg in my 1.4 manual Latitude so I figure I can last at least 20 miles if necessary, but I don't plan to intentionally test that theory :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
The range display is pretty bad - If you're cruising on the highway, I've had it showing 500 miles, which drops to 200 as soon as you go to normal roads - I wonder what estimation it uses - maybe last 10 miles of driving?

I am working on the basis that there is one (UK) Gallon left when the light comes on - and give myself a range of about 25 miles at best from that point

·
Registered
580 Posts
On every car I have had the fuel gauge was reliable and accurate only on a level surface. Reserve quantity was in most cars about 1.5 to 2 gallons. One gallon is a bit underwhelming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
'Low Range'

I have owned my 2016 Renegade Trailhawk for five days now... it's not gotten even 20mpg of the supposed 21/29mpg... I did just notice that on my main mpg dash display.. it says 'Low Range' all the time. I don't have it in Low on the dial down below however.
Not sure what the 'Low Range' on the dash didplay means, but does it have anything to do with the low mpg I'm getting? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No the low range means you dont have much gas in the tank and you cant drive far. Once you fill up your gas it will read somwhere around 310 mile range. Sorry to inform you but these BU's dont get the kinda MPG's they advertise. It all is relative but if your driving with a lot of stopping then your not going to get very good MPG's. The best Ive ever gotten was 23.4 and that was on an 800 mile highway trip, 70mph cruise control, with lots of evevation . I average 19-20 mpgs in my normal driving. Also most places are running a winter blend of gas known to not give good mileage. I did notice my mpgs go up slightly from when i bought it as the motor broke in. I have a trailhawk with 8,500 miles and i have a roof rack. If you really baby the throttle on acceleration then i bet you could get 1-2 mpgs better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks.
I just noticed the Low Range this evening while cycling thru all the bells and whistles and wasnt sure. So many things to learn after owning Toyotas my last 3 vehicles.
I imagine the aggressive off-road tires arent helping either but its January in central PA and they will stay on a few months.

·
Registered
35 Posts
After seeing your other post I must say, with all those mods, your not going to get anywhere near the factory MPG's. All the extra weight from the mods, larger tires, and decreased aerodynamics will all play a factor in getting you much less MPG's. Take all the mods off and you will get somewhere close to the factory MPG. Also can you post a pic, she sounds nice!!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I drive conservatively and get decent mileage. My Renegade is a 2015 Trailhawk with the 2.4 and 9-speed auto.

I average around 27 with 80% highway and 20% city. 100% highway at 55 mph will yield greater than 30 mpg. 100% city will yield around 24 to 25 mpg.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am driving and the gas gauge is showing 3 bars and and then the "low fuel" message is displayed. In my mind 3 bars should be about 1/4 tank of gas remaining. Is the gage not linear ? Since it displays "low fuel" and does not display miles remaining how many miles can I go ? I don't have a good feel if this means running out of gas very soon or not so soon.
Just happened to me. Was 1.9 gallons but I had probably driven a mile or so before pulling over for gas. My guess approx 2 gallons remain when light goes on.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts