Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just had my first "get a real Jeep" yelled at me from a Wrangler driver. Now, I was sitting at a red light in San Diego, Mission bay to be exact... and a Wrangler pulled up, a nice looking Wrangler.. and dude and his buddy, yelled out "get a real Jeep". I gave them the finger. Isnt there enough Jeep testosterone for everyone? I don't drive up to Smart car owners and yell get a real car... Hey I coulda bought a Wrangler, but dont "need" a Wrangler... Very happy with My Renny Trailhawk and plenty happy where its taken me. Anyway, Ive vented to other Renny owners now I feel better...

·
Registered
261 Posts
I get the same crap from the members in the Greek Jeep forum. Countless times I have got into a "cyber" fight with a wrangler owner...

I really feel great when I say to them the tax I pay for my Reni and the mpg I get... They almost cry... :)

Most of them were forced to lay up their Jeeps so as to avoid paying the huge tax...

Fyi, in Greece the tax you pay for your car is calculated according to the Cubic Centimeters of your engine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You should've just laughed and calmly replied that it IS a "real" jeep, and asked if yelling insults at intersections helps them to compensate for feelings of inadequacies of their manhood? I've found that just laughing when someone else is trying to get under your skin makes me feel better and usually makes them look stupid. It drives them crazy when they see that they aren't getting to you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Real Jeeps

I own a Wrangler. I joined a few forums after I bought the 'car' (that was for any Wrangler owners) and don't go to them anymore. The people are really rude. I chalk it up to insecurity. They love talking tough to each other and making fun of anyone who asks a legitimate question that for some reason offends them. They are just a sad bunch. I really like this forum, even though I don't yet own a Renegade. The people seem supportive and nice and there is no belittling or namecalling, etc. So next time someone tells you to get a real Jeep, don't give them the satisfaction of a reply. Smile, laugh a little and shake your head as you drive away. Nothing annoys those kinds of people like being made aware of how irrelevant they are. Drive proudly and enjoy, Renegaders...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bryan I get where you are coming from. Though I drive an XJ Cherokee (1993 and a 1997 model) some Wrangler owners think they are pretty high and mighty. They usually give us **** since we can't take our doors and tops off. I am a member of a large local Jeep group with the majority being Wrangler owners, but most are great people so I won't **** them all for the actions of a few.

Darrell I tell my daughters the same thing. People like that (bullies) want a reaction from you and if you don't give them that reaction they want they move on. Good advice sir.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I test drove a Wrangler before purchasing the Renegade, and honestly didn't like it. Unless you're buying the car for strictly offroading, the Renny is vastly superior.

A Jeep badge is a Jeep badge so I don't see what they were getting at.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What is it with these guys? It is a real Jeep. Jeep is broadening its range because it has too. Without moving with the times and generating more sales there would eventually be an end to Jeep. Plenty other manufacturers and brands have fell by the wayside in recent years. Do you think when Landrover rolled out the Evoque the purists were shouting "get a real Range Rover". No, they appreciate that the profits go towards developing new models and keeping Land Rover at the top of its game. Incidently, I also own a wrangler.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really hope he had oversized tires, a light bar and a winch...and not a speck of dirt on it. My co-worker (wrangler owner) laughed when I told him a bought a renegade. I responded to his laughter by asking him what he "recovers" with his winch and that his big a$$ tires look really pretty all shined up. So yeah, all those tough talking wrangler owners can stick it where the sun don't shine.
p.s. I wave to all renegades...wranglers, not so much.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We have a few people like that in our MOPAR car club. They think anything after 1970 or so isn't a real mopar. As much as I love the old cars, a new Hellcat would spank anything short of the factory race cars from back in the day...with the A/C on to boot. My feeling is there are only so many old cars left and the new kids getting into the hobby can't afford the old ones (for that matter neither can I) and they are the future of the hobby. I see Jeeps kinda the same way. I personally don't care for the look of the Wranglers after 2006 (when they lost the great 4.0L I6). So my newest "real Jeep" is already 10 years old.

I get the same crap from the members in the Greek Jeep forum. Countless times I have got into a "cyber" fight with a wrangler owner...

I really feel great when I say to them the tax I pay for my Reni and the mpg I get... They almost cry... :)

Most of them were forced to lay up their Jeeps so as to avoid paying the huge tax...

Fyi, in Greece the tax you pay for your car is calculated according to the Cubic Centimeters of your engine.

Jeez... I can't imagine what I'd do for some of my big block muscle cars. They didn't even have cubic centimeters back then, just (lots of) cubic inches.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I see similarities in motorbike world.
I ride VeeStrom and every time I see HD straddled by a hairy, leather-chapped-can-get-it-up-anymore-old-fart bloke I smile because I know HD is a religion and has nothing to do with joy of riding. It is a status of something only HD owners have an idea about.
Besides HD riders never give you "The Big One" gesture.
I don't care as I am too busy enjoying the intimacy with my bike.

Cheers...

·
Registered
13 Posts
At least it's not a new KL Cherokee! right guys....... no?....... :D

To be honest the Renegade looks Jeep... the new KL Cherokee looks adopted.
I know part of the issue Jeep purist have is that Jeep is using beloved names for new vehicles that don't fit what we remember those names to be. But I bet it is similar to what the Full Size Cherokee owners thought/felt when the smaller XJ Cherokee came out.

·
Super Moderator
4,686 Posts
Don't let the butt holes bug you! I bet that they have never been off road. Talk is cheap just enjoy your Renegade Jeep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the Renegade for the look of it and the feel of it when driving. I am coming from a Honda Element (11 years and hit a deer) and this is the first vehicle I actually was attracted too. Once reading up on the Renegade, I purchased the Trail Hawk version. I would have bought this vehicle with a Fiat badge on it, honestly. It will do what it is meant to do and I think when something new a different comes along the old school people FREAK. I mean imagine if there internet was around when the Cherokee was first being rolled off the line. I also think a few years in to the Renegade line, you will see more and more out there and more and more being "beefed up." I love this forum and it makes my work day much more fun to browse!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.