Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say, I was nervous to get the Renegade, knowing how the 9 Speed tranny has been problematic, although I am very happy with it and I do love the look, interior, size and how it drives.

Now I have only had my Renegade Trailhawk a week, and put 140 miles on it, but am still getting use to the 9 speed. The Jeep has a build date of 9/15 so it must have one of the latest software updates.

One question I am having is when hitting the brakes and coming to a stop, it seems to want to downshift and engine brake. Is this common with the 9 speed, just something I need to get use to, or maybe its still in a learning curve?

Shifting feels pretty good under normal driving condition, although I have to say, it seems to prefer mid-heavy throttle and the shifting feels great.

Any other quirks people have experienced with the 9 speed?

·
Registered
129 Posts
There is a few weird down shifts and some seemly notchy shifting. Iv auto sticked a few times to see the gears and its 3-4 and 4-5 I think it's an issue with the gearing not being user friendly. Probably causing pre-mature wear. Just a guess.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Since I bought it back in June and about 5k miles ago, I have been noticing a high pitched noise/whistle coming from the engine when I'm driving around 50 mph with light to moderate pressure on the pedal. I've taken it in twice to the dealer that I bought it from and they insist it's the gear whine and there is nothing they can do (it does not sound like gear whine). I am sincerely doubting this since no one else on here seems to complain of the same issue. I might try a different dealership because it's pretty annoying.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have to say, I was nervous to get the Renegade, knowing how the 9 Speed tranny has been problematic, although I am very happy with it and I do love the look, interior, size and how it drives.

Now I have only had my Renegade Trailhawk a week, and put 140 miles on it, but am still getting use to the 9 speed. The Jeep has a build date of 9/15 so it must have one of the latest software updates.

One question I am having is when hitting the brakes and coming to a stop, it seems to want to downshift and engine brake. Is this common with the 9 speed, just something I need to get use to, or maybe its still in a learning curve?

Shifting feels pretty good under normal driving condition, although I have to say, it seems to prefer mid-heavy throttle and the shifting feels great.

I have an earlier build (Jan, 2015) and like the 9 speed a lot (for an automatic). Yes, it will sometimes downshift aggressively during a downhill braking situation (I had another car that did that). I usually bump it over to "manual mode" if I don't want it to downshift and that solves that issue.

When shifting from 5th to 4th gear, the engine tends to be a bit over zealous with the rev match giving one the feeling of a slight acceleration. It happens to a lesser degree when shifting from 8th to 7th. I am used to it and it doesn't bother me at all. Those with later software updates may not experience this at all.

I have no intention of taking mine in for any software updates unless something "breaks." The acceleration with this nine speed is quite spirited and I'm happy with it. That says a lot considering that my other car has nearly 500 horse power. :D

Reactions: LittleRedJeep

·
Registered
430 Posts
The 4-5 and 7-8 shifts are pretty complicated as the tranny has to engage dog clutches, like in a manual tranny, without being able to disconnect the engine. To do this, the engine power is reduced momentarily for upshifts and the engine has to rev match to down shift. Think of it as computer controlled double clutching. All other gears are normal friction clutches. On manual downshifts the shifts are better if you also use light braking.

Under normal acceleration, I rarely go above 2600 rpm and acceleration is descent and I average 27 mpg commuting. The powertrain will adapt to how you drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.