Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spoke with a G M from a local dealer. Earlier this week he told me that he was going to have dinner with a Jeep rep one day this week. So I asked him to ask the rep about weather or not, and when the glass roof version would make it to the USA. I just spoke with him and found out that it will not come here anytime soon. Problem is that it currently does not pass safety tests. So they will not bring it here until they can design it to be a whole lot safer.

This is rather surprising since they bring in a glass roof on so many other FCA brand vehicles, the Fiat 500L & 500X, just to name two. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news folks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That saddens me. IT would look so nice with a glass roof but I can understand their concerns if they aren't up to standards. Wouldn't want it shattering when you try to load up something onto the rails.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I don't think you were given the true reason. They spent so much money engineering and marketing the MySky roof that they would rather have the customer go for that option instead of introducing another option. It would not be difficult to have a glass roof if they really wanted to offer it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Back in the day we had an aftermarket sunroof installed in a Dodge Intrepid. We never had a problem with it, and it was enjoyable to use. Also, I think European Renegades have the glass sunroof as an option. So, it would appear that the engineering problems don't prohibit an aftermarket solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Will the glass roof be a conventional moonroof, or a glass version of the removable panels? The latter might be harder to pass regs with. Probably wouldn't be glass, though the Corvette has a removable clear polycarbonate panel.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just spoke with a G M from a local dealer. Earlier this week he told me that he was going to have dinner with a Jeep rep one day this week. So I asked him to ask the rep about weather or not, and when the glass roof version would make it to the USA. I just spoke with him and found out that it will not come here anytime soon. Problem is that it currently does not pass safety tests. So they will not bring it here until they can design it to be a whole lot safer.

This is rather surprising since they bring in a glass roof on so many other FCA brand vehicles, the Fiat 500L & 500X, just to name two. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news folks.
I have a panoramic roof and have no hesitation in terms of safety, glass technology is incredible , take a look at this https://youtu.be/zzww9GLGgis

If this was done to a steel roof of any car I think it certainly would be in a considerably worse condition.
I think you guys are being short changed In the USA

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have a panoramic roof and have no hesitation in terms of safety, glass technology is incredible , take a look at this https://youtu.be/zzww9GLGgis

If this was done to a steel roof of any car I think it certainly would be in a considerably worse condition.
I can only agree with you. Lucky Europeans have that as an option. Hopefully, in time they will figure a way to redesign it so that it can pass safety tests here. You would think that this should not be that hard to do. After all it is available on the Fiat 500L and 500X models and other Jeep/FCA models.

I don't know what car that roof panel tested goes in, but that was quite impressive. The biggest problem/concern is a roll over and no one wants to fall through an open roof once the glass has shattered. Not to mention the lack of structural support in the center. For certain in the center there needs something good and strong. It's got that in between the two My Sky panels and in the Fiat 500X, really not much center structural support there in the Command View roof.

I found the My Sky panels to be too much of a hassle to get on and off the car. And you can't stow them under the trunk floor,really poor design there. So when I get one I will get a normal fixed roof and may just add an aftermarket sunroof.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I can only agree with you. Lucky Europeans have that as an option. Hopefully, in time they will figure a way to redesign it so that it can pass safety tests here. You would think that this should not be that hard to do. After all it is available on the Fiat 500L and 500X models and other Jeep/FCA models.

I don't know what car that roof panel tested goes in, but that was quite impressive. The biggest problem/concern is a roll over and no one wants to fall through an open roof once the glass has shattered. Not to mention the lack of structural solidity. For certain in the center there needs something good and strong. It's got that in between the two My Sky panels and in the Fiat 500X, really not much center structural support there in the Command View roof.

I found the My Sky panels to be too much of a hassle to get on and off the car. And you can't stow them under the trunk floor,really poor design there. So when I get one I will get a normal fixed roof and may just add an aftermarket sunroof.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There is no way that the renegade would pass into production (with an option of a glass roof) if there where any safety problems.

As regards structural solidity, the glass roof is comprised of two glass panels. Between these panels there is a solid horizontal column bar connecting the sides of the chassis. (i.e. it is not one continuous glass roof). And only the front panel opens. The back panel stays always shut.

The nice thing about the glass roof, is that even when it is closed, it is still very nice to look outside through it, even when it rains. I believe the people shitting in the back must be having quite a view during the ride! :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
There is no way that the renegade would pass into production (with an option of a glass roof) if there where any safety problems.

As regards structural solidity, the glass roof is comprised of two glass panels. Between these panels there is a solid horizontal column bar connecting the sides of the chassis. (i.e. it is not one continuous glass roof). And only the front panel opens. The back panel stays always shut.

The nice thing about the glass roof, is that even when it is closed, it is still very nice to look outside through it, even when it rains. I believe the people shitting in the back must be having quite a view during the ride! :D
That would be quite a view for anyone looking in too :eek::D

·
Registered
261 Posts
That would be quite a view for anyone looking in too :eek::D
It's tinted. If you look at it from the outside it's black. :D

Also, if you really want 100% privacy, there is also an electrical retracting fiber panel just under the glass roof. (this protects you from direct sunlight as well.)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Renegade is more accurately described as H Tops. When the My Sky panels are off it is an "H" configuration. They are not a hassle to remove or replace. If you are not going to muck around with them for errands or short trips with iffy weather.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.