Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi buddies

does anyone going hard on trails with TH? The TH was realesed in Brazil few weeks ago and there is a lot of doubts of its off road capabilities. Most of offroaders are feeling this is more an on road vehicle than an off road.

If you can share your experiences (maybe videos) would be great! I have the faith in Jeep brand and its off road capabilities, but you know, there is a lot of doubting Thomas here....

:D

·
Registered
499 Posts
hi buddies

does anyone going hard on trails with TH? The TH was realesed in Brazil few weeks ago and there is a lot of doubts of its off road capabilities. Most of offroaders are feeling this is more an on road vehicle than an off road.

If you can share your experiences (maybe videos) would be great! I have the faith in Jeep brand and its off road capabilities, but you know, there is a lot of doubting Thomas here....

:D

Those doubts are being quickly eliminated - several videos on youtube have surfaced showing what these vehicles are capable of, most of them have been posted on this forum. It's quite a capable machine - you won't out rock crawl a Wrangler, but it'll give it a run for the money.

·
Registered
953 Posts
It is a road vehicle for people who like to off-road sometimes. But no its not the best off-road vehicle. You should go with other Jeep vehicles if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It is a road vehicle for people who like to off-road sometimes. But no its not the best off-road vehicle. You should go with other Jeep vehicles if that is what you are looking for.
Pretty much this. The Renegade for me was a compromise between MPG and 4x4. I was really eyeing a Willys Wrangler, but really needed the backseat and better MPG with how much I drive.

For it's size and especially clearance, it's really capable. With a better pair of All-Terrains or actual Off Road Tires, it'll almost keep up with a Wrangler in some tasks. Keyword there being "almost". :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For it's size and especially clearance, it's really capable. With a better pair of All-Terrains or actual Off Road Tires, it'll almost keep up with a Wrangler in some tasks. Keyword there being "almost". :)
this is also my opinion. and I know that wrangler does pretty much on offroading, but the question is what renegade is capable to do.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think the Renegade is capable of some decent off roading, but I'm wondering how durable it will be? Can it take some abuse without falling apart? When I bought it I wasn't concerned, but my own experience so far has left me worried...

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think the Renegade is capable of some decent off roading, but I'm wondering how durable it will be? Can it take some abuse without falling apart? When I bought it I wasn't concerned, but my own experience so far has left me worried...
Only time will tell, but anyone who's into "go hard" off-roading is prepared to shell out a lot of money for upgrades and upkeep. Some guys I know keep a "parts vehicle" around just to replace broken things on their main rig.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even the most capable and built offroad vehicles are expected to break down and need fixing when taken into that extreme environment.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Only time will tell, but anyone who's into "go hard" off-roading is prepared to shell out a lot of money for upgrades and upkeep. Some guys I know keep a "parts vehicle" around just to replace broken things on their main rig.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even the most capable and built offroad vehicles are expected to break down and need fixing when taken into that extreme environment.
Yeah, totally. I wouldn't expect a stock Renegade to take the same abuse as a modded Wrangler. Just wondering how much the Renny can be occasionally pushed and hold together.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yeah, totally. I wouldn't expect a stock Renegade to take the same abuse as a modded Wrangler. Just wondering how much the Renny can be occasionally pushed and hold together.

Yeah, I'll wager a guess and go with "more than any of its competitors in its class" which wouldn't be saying much. I am curious to see what the off-road modders end up accomplishing with this platform though, or if they'll just skip it completely. Given its relatively high price and the readily available supply of old yet fully capable XJ's, CJ's and Wranglers out there, I really don't think there will be a huge demand to do much with the Renegade in that regard, but there will certainly be the exceptions out there and I'd love to see what they end up doing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah, I'll wager a guess and go with "more than any of its competitors in its class" which wouldn't be saying much. I am curious to see what the off-road modders end up accomplishing with this platform though, or if they'll just skip it completely. Given its relatively high price and the readily available supply of old yet fully capable XJ's, CJ's and Wranglers out there, I really don't think there will be a huge demand to do much with the Renegade in that regard, but there will certainly be the exceptions out there and I'd love to see what they end up doing.
Yeah, it will be interesting to see. I'm new to all this so it's pretty exciting to me and as I'm looking at trails to drive on here I feel like I need to temper my enthusiasm with both by own and the car's capabilities (and a new urge to get a wrangler/CJ/XJ). I do think the Renegade is perfect if you sometimes need or want to go off road, but if that's a hobby this might not be the car.

As for class competitors, there really aren't any (at least for the trailhawk), which is why this thing appealed to me, it seems like a great all-rounder.

·
Registered
34 Posts
https://youtu.be/5nT0KS098Dw

My fiance going up a steep, sandy, hill for the first time in Hungry Valley. She didn't make it up. My only upgrades would be a locker - I pray someone comes out with one - and better tires. That's the last time we'll ever go to Hungry Valley. Idiot drivers going too fast on blind curves almost hit us twice.

I'm going to Rhower Flats in Santa Clarita to play some more on Sunday.

·
Registered
51 Posts
https://youtu.be/5nT0KS098Dw

She didn't make it up. My only upgrades would be a locker
What 4x4 mode were you in on the selector switch? For the climb in your video, I would have recommended sand mode to keep the power up and all the tires moving. I think that might have gotten you to the top.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What 4x4 mode were you in on the selector switch? For the climb in your video, I would have recommended sand mode to keep the power up and all the tires moving. I think that might have gotten you to the top.
Looked like it was close, a slower, constant move probably would have done it.

Would be great to have a side-by-side shot of proper selecterrain adjustments for those of us who haven't used the system wheeling before. There is a shocking lack of guide material compared to older Jeep 4wd systems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We were on rock mode the whole time. There was a bump where the car stopped that made it lose traction. More speed would have helped a lot. In any case, I need to get used to the select terrain stuff. I'm used to gunning through those things on a motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.