Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the 6.5 in my Latitude.

I have a GREAT local dealer, different than the one from which I bought (long story, but our radio stations try to support dealers in both markets) which is going to help me with the Uconnect not holding it's settings like the units on the dash. Today I left and drove into town in miles, and came home in Kilometers. The tire pressure had changed to "bars" and, I'd had enough. A few messages later, there's a TSB on this, a software "enhancement" that may help. (0807715). We'll see how it does and if it holds! Last few days the settings have not held on NOT using automatic electric parking brake, units, etc.

I don't believe this is available to the consumer, so dealer intervention probably needed, plus it'll follow the jeep for "record keeping" purposes!

Fingers crossed.

Then...if only....we could make the (AM) radio sound better! I DID however find out that my station is included in the ViaMobile app called aha by Harmon! Probably a more "clunky" way to listen than just with our app, but nice to know we got picked up by another third party carrier! If it works well, we will push this with our local dealer!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope this fixes that particular issue. Hadn't seen or maybe I "missed" that TSB being mentioned on this forum, hopefully it helps someone else, too. Eventually we'll tackle other issues, hopefully cooperatively with Uconnect/Harmon on the AM reception issue when we break through their firewalls of defense (figuratively, meaning the people, not electronically) and try to help them improve AM's sound.

Still maintaining that, for a first-ever new vehicle for me, I like the driving, the ride, the design for the most part, and have only the computer issues. In time, like all new things they'll get worked out. Just sad that the Uconnect upper management chose to cut off communications to our radio station engineer who could help them look and sound SO much better. Local dealer is a regular advertiser, has good service people, and I intend to get to know their software/Uconnect expert quite well, til I'm a good associate of theirs and can help them help us.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apologies for the duplication of information! At least the dealer now confirms this is needed! THAT, to me is a step forward. Thanks for the tolerance of the post!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Went back to the site above. It only showed one update. I think it's the same one we successfully did when I bought the car which added the wifi capability to the unit. Since the "online check" doesn't know what we install, when, and IF we do so, nor what we don't, I have to assume this is the same update we already did. Isn't this also the one which fixed the "hacking" issue? If this is the case, there is no "fix" for the issues for which this thread was started.

Now I'm confused as to whether there's a fix either in that package or in the works for the quirks of this radio.
Please help me better understand the data available. . Set me straight on how to "read" the info on the site. There's no "history" of updates kept once we download, and I don't know how to verify in my radio which update was last installed. The update info from the linked site (one picture) doesn't match the ID "version" numbers on the radio as of today. (other picture.) Is there a way to match them up? I don't want to waste my time having the dealer come get the Jeep if my update is already in, and the quirks are not fixable with available updates.

Hoping the file sizes of the pics are auto-sized here, didn't see options for "thumbnail" vs. "huge"

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi,

You can see the "Software Version" at the top of the screen on your UConnect, 15.21.37.
You can also see that version number in the file that's available for download.

So in other words, you're up to date, there is no newer version.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I1430radio,

It does appear that your software is up to date. I would recommend a trip to the dealership given this information. If you would like to try to avoid that, you can give Uconnect Customer Care a call at 1-877-855-8400 to see if they have any recommendation or are able to troubleshoot this for you. They should also be able to ensure your information is updated on the software update page moving forward.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I have made an appointment, however my local dealership is "swamped" and can't take me til December 14th.....isn't THAT nice for them, but stinks for someone with a new vehicle. They're good people....it's not they're fault....but.....you get the idea.

What scares me is, NOBODY seems to be an expert on Uconnect. My dealer's service people "don't know" if they can even perform the update AGAIN to try to see if the Uconnect will hold it's settings, since we already DID the one available update with my radio station engineer (the patch to add wifi and eliminate the hacking embarrassment to Jeep) Would be VERY nice if since we're all driving "SOFTWARE WITH 4 WHEELS" if each dealership would have a UCONNECT EXPERT available, preferably by training one of the trusted people that most of us get to know in our local dealers' locations. The people I call "MY" service people in Ionia I trust, but...they need to become experts on this "radio."

Additionally, the "head end unit" completely lost it's brain on the weekend, switched languages on my dashboard, changed units, turned ON the driving lights I hate having, and turned OFF the light delay lighting my way when I get out. IF this continues after service, I will be most publicly telling listeners and others who ask to avoid this vehicle like the plague. I'll also find the BEST alternative to this braindead piece of junk called Uconnect, purchase the first proven box that HOLDS the settings we want, and go aftermarket with the radio ASAP.

I spoke via the web with the owner of a well-known consumer electronics website, who tells me his wife has a Chrysler with the same Uconnect unit as mine that was in-service for TWO DAYS while nobody could get the readout on the dash to be in English measurements ONLY when she ran the cruise control! Any takers on an office pool regarding recalls of Uconnect and legal threats by consumers?

I was asked on the street today by a listener, and I told him, "wait a few years"....and that "the vehicle's fine, it's computer will drive you to drink!"

Oh, and I learned that oil changes take about an hour due to design? No more "drive in without an appointment" I guess!

With regard to calling Uconnect, after being brushed-off after repeatedly asking POLITELY online and on the phone for help improving their radio for AM listeners and BROADCASTERS, and basically being told to "go away"...the last people I'm going to are Uconnect. I want a record at the dealership of my troubles to protect ME down the road when I'm one of many unhappy buyers. Sad. A test drive won't show anyone how awful the software that runs the vehicle's function really IS.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm sorry that you had a bad experience speaking with Uconnect Customer Care. Please keep us posted on how everything goes at your appointment. If there are any TSBs released regarding this, I will be sure to let you know.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE
The whole computer system seemed to lose it's settings today. My "automatic" parking brake came back on, running lights off, units wrong. Since I can't get in for an appointment for nearly two weeks on this issue and the first oil change at my dealer, I did a "reset to default" option from the screen of the Uconnect. I have nothing to lose.

It held all my radio stations, and the unit blanked out for a bit, but came back. It did NOT roll back from the latest firmware, I know this because the wifi option and Uconnect store are still there, as are all the available apps I had after the update.

In the FTA (Free to air) satellite world, after a firmware update, you often do a "factory reset" which keeps the update, but sets the box "fresh" in most other departments. I DON'T KNOW if we need to do this, but will be carefully watching this beast the next few days as we head toward my oil change and "head-end computer" issues.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for the kind thoughts.

It didn't come on while driving, but the SETTING for it to automatically do-so when stopped DID (again.) I have an employee who occasionally stalls this car (didn't in the old Liberty....he's just not used to this one yet)....and that darn thing comes ON (it's set by ME to stay "off") and sets the brake, making him shut it OFF before getting the car going in traffic again!

I can't figure out WHY anyone wants to have such a thing automated that we can do with one pull of a lever or switch. LAZY STUPID PEOPLE who can't pull a parking brake really don't need the responsibility of driving, and this **** in-dash computer that has settings for things we really DON'T need the options-for is driving me nuts!

So, INCLUDE cornering lights in our new car. Why have the option to shut off? INCLUDE the 30 seconds of delay when turning the key-off with regard to headlights. Why have an option for length-on or not using them? The car I bought is in the UNITED STATES. Why not set it so it can't default back to other language and units of measure on it's dashboard? (it does)....this is a total mess for anyone with Uconnect, and I really hope, in the deepest, darkest areas of my thoughts that Jeep and Uconnect get, at some point, ordered to fix, refund, or compensate those of us who trusted them and have been stolen-from by the inclusion in our cars of this JUNK.

Yes, I'll follow all the "usual" instructions and take it to the dealer, who probably can't do anything more with that radio than my original (radio station engineer-installed) update did. Face it, folks. As buyers, we're not that important to the company. Not until that parking brake thing comes on, is verified as causing an accident, then there'll be the scramble to cover Jeep/Uconnect's rear for putting such an awful piece of software inside a box with four wheels.

Sad part is, there's no viable option yet for it's replacement without serious loss of vehicle functions.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.