Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In April I was super excited to purchase my Renegade after a great relationship with my 06' Liberty I thought for sure this would be a perfect substitute. Much to my dismay, within four days after ownership the motor blew because of the negligence of the dealer/factory to put oil in the vehicle. I was then quickly upgraded to a Renegade Latitude and 10 days after driving this vehicle we found the air conditioner making a loud noise and not blowing cold air and the air filter had a hole in it and was leaking oil. The dealership tried to fix the vehicle and has still yet to get my AC correct. It has been in the shop 4 times in less than 45 days. I am not sure if anyone else is having these issues but it sure has dampened my new car excitement and faith in the Jeep brand now that they have merged with Fiat.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Welcome DivaMom,

Wow, sorry to hear your experiences. As far as I remember your the first to post these two problems, but a blown engine has to take the cake as among the worst problems reported so far.

Amazing, how could both the factory and the dealer miss that there was no oil in the engine?

Regarding AC, again, a first, sounds strange but it seems at 45 days you are ready for a second lemon law replacement.

Reactions: twospirits

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I'm curious, isn't there be some sort of indicator light in the dash to notify the driver that there is low oil or something wrong with the engine oil pressure ?

TS

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Your AC has leaked out all the Freon. Even if they find the leak and fix it, there is likely irreparable damage to the AC compressor. The only fix then is to replace much of the air conditioning system including the compressor.

Or, ask for car #3 . I wish you better luck in the future.

By the way, I checked the oil in my Trailhawk while it was sitting in the showroom before I bought it. And I check it every few weeks. Certainly though you don't expect a new car to have no oil, but you just never know.

Reactions: DivaMom

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Diva,
after seeing that video and the explanation given by the dealership seems to me that the dealership is partly at fault.

Maybe its me but how can they slap an inspection sticker and not check the fluids. Even if Fiat sent the car to them without gas, Freon etc, the dealership would have noticed if they indeed done an inspection. And why so many miles (900) on the second vehicle. Was it a transport from another dealership?

Wish you luck.

TS

·
Registered
610 Posts
As a former Jeep owner, quality has never been a trait of the brand, before or after Fiat. Look online for articles of the on going saga of federal govt's case against Jeep regarding fires in Jeep Grand Cherokees in event of rear collision... one such incident burned and killed a toddler.

As others have mentioned, it sounds like you need to find a better dealer to work with in the future. Letting a new sale leave the showroom without checking all vital fluids is highly unusual and careless. What if their negligence had caused harm and injury? Of all of the cars I've bought and taken to dealer for service, they all offered a basic inspection to check all vitals. This is as much for my safety as to protect them from liability.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't understand how there could not be any oil in the engine. When we test drove ours it had 8 miles on it. We helped the salesman unwrap the shipping materials off it, so we were the first to test drive it.
They are driven out of the factory, to loading on ship, off loaded from ship, to the rail depot, on rail cars, off rail cars, on transport trucks, off transport trucks and into the dealership, then moved around the dealership and test driven. Then owner has it for 4 days.
The oil had to leak out. If I understand this mutiair engine, it needs oil pressure to open the valves and no oil would mean it wouldn't run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@hatman...We did have to change the oil filter with the second Jeep because it faces outward which makes it easily susceptible to rocks and other road debris. The filter on the second Jeep had a small hole and was leaking, so we put a Fram Extra Guard filter which is way more durable than the factory one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.