Jeep Renegade Forum banner

561 - 565 of 565 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have found the cause of the sound; the propshaft being released from the PTU. I mounted a camera under my car, and went for a drive. You can actually hear the rumbling noise starting right after the propshaft stops. I went for a longer drive, and the noise appears exactly when the propshaft stops every time.

FCA on the other hand means this is a perfectly normal sound from a 4x4 system, even though it's so loud you can actually feel it in the floor of the car... No one has managed to fix the noise them selves? I'm keen to try an oil swap on the rear diff, but it annoys the **** out of me that FCA doesn't fix it - the car is still under warranty.

Video from testdrive.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I don't hear anything from my Renegade Longitude 4x4.

ChuChu are you still driving the
My car is a 2017 500x 1,4l 170hp, 9AT.
Not being a mechanic hardly qualifies me to comment but I wonder if different cars though made by the same manufacturer suffer the exact same fault?

Congratz on the other hand for finding the fault yourself. That is worthy of special praise (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi puddlesplasher,

In general you can't compare different cars, but the 500x and the Renegade is basically the same car, just different body styling and a few mechanical bits. The Renegade has a better 4x4 software and diffs (on the Trailhawk, I believe?), besides that they are very similar. I actually bought custom made Renegade floor mats for my 500x, they fit perfectly. As there's more dedicated owners of the Renegade than the 500x it's easier to find info here than on 500x forums. :)

In quite sure the noise on my 500x is the exact same many of the Renegade owners experience. Not all 500x's has this noise, the same as with the Renegade. This also backs up the fact that it's not a 'normal noise from the 4wd", as FCA claims.

(Pardon my English, I'm Norwegian so English is not my preferred language. :) )

·
Super Moderator
3,380 Posts
I have found the cause of the sound; the propshaft being released from the PTU. I mounted a camera under my car, and went for a drive. You can actually hear the rumbling noise starting right after the propshaft stops. I went for a longer drive, and the noise appears exactly when the propshaft stops every time.

FCA on the other hand means this is a perfectly normal sound from a 4x4 system, even though it's so loud you can actually feel it in the floor of the car... No one has managed to fix the noise them selves? I'm keen to try an oil swap on the rear diff, but it annoys the **** out of me that FCA doesn't fix it - the car is still under warranty.

Video from testdrive.

Yes. This is what we have been talking about. Except that the noise most of us have been talking about comes from the rear and is likely related to the rear drive unit as that is the one with the electronically controlled wet clutch pack and THAT is involved with the traction control which also affects it.

You can get a noise from the ptu. And some do. But we have had multiple people get that noise fixed and it seems to be easier for shops to diagnose and r&r fixes it. Which is not the case for the rear drive unit whine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The noise on my car comes from the rear, like you describe. But it's present when the PTU disconnects the propshaft. I believe the source is located in the wet clutch between the rotating rear wheels and the stopped propshaft.

561 - 565 of 565 Posts