Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I almost made it a full month with my first ever new car before having a stray dog dart out in front of me. Some Jack Russel Terrier with no collar that no houses near by would claim. This happened on a state route so I was going around 55 MPH and he was just a white blur so I didn't even have time to think about hitting my brakes, so unfortunately the dog did not make it (he had no chance).

Anyways, such a little dog did crazy damage to the front of my Jeep. Front bumper was caved in and punctured, Fog light assembly broke, the actual light from the fog light fell out of the broke fog light assembly and by the time I got stopped and looked at the damage had melted a hole in my wheel well. Over $700 in damages.

Repair shop has the parts on order but they are having a heck of time getting these in with the vehicle being so new.

So yeah all you new Renegade owners be careful and hope dog owners in your area are responsible pet owners, keeping their pets secure and tagged, not running around unlicensed on some country road.

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. I suppose none of that new-fangled anti-collision gadgetry would have helped in this case either?
I don't think those systems are snsitive enough to stop for a dog. In some cases you just can't stop because of the flow of traffic and it would be more dangerous having an auto brake system rather than just going through the dog.

Very sad about the dog though.

Is it going to be much to repair? Is it covered by insurance or something?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well I almost made it a full month with my first ever new car before having a stray dog dart out in front of me. Some Jack Russel Terrier with no collar that no houses near by would claim. This happened on a state route so I was going around 55 MPH and he was just a white blur so I didn't even have time to think about hitting my brakes, so unfortunately the dog did not make it (he had no chance).

Anyways, such a little dog did crazy damage to the front of my Jeep. Front bumper was caved in and punctured, Fog light assembly broke, the actual light from the fog light fell out of the broke fog light assembly and by the time I got stopped and looked at the damage had melted a hole in my wheel well. Over $700 in damages.

Repair shop has the parts on order but they are having a heck of time getting these in with the vehicle being so new.

So yeah all you new Renegade owners be careful and hope dog owners in your area are responsible pet owners, keeping their pets secure and tagged, not running around unlicensed on some country road.
Same thing happened with my previous vehicle (Volvo C30) although it was a cat that darted out in front of me. Unfortunately being so very low to the ground it wasn't just cosmetic damage. The impact caused a radiator hose to stretch and rupture which pulled on some sort of metal bracket that tore through some other fluid lines... needed to get a full engine replacement and a new turbo. :( Thankfully the insurance covered it but after getting it back it just wasn't the same and I traded it for my Renegade.

Not sure if this is a problem elsewhere but some shops are better equipped to handle import vehicles vs others. I found this out the hard way where one shop took 10 days to fix rear impact damage... another took over a month to fix a dented door!!! They all gave me the excuse of the rarity of the vehicle but that's BS... most new car suppliers have plenty of parts on hand even before a model is introduced. I have a few friends that work at suppliers here at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Texas and they had parts for the Tundra facelift months before it went on sale... and they already have parts for the new Tacoma. Granted these are locally produced.

Not sure where I was going with this other than it brought up memories of what happened with my car hitting a domestic house pet. :crying: Lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Almost $800. Insurance will cover it except for my $100 deductible. Which I wouldn't have to pay if we could find the owner of the dog since they would be responsible for everything. But since someone out there is an irresponsible pet owner I have a damaged new car and am out $100 for no fault of my own.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry about the dog and your Renegade wesker83.

Be sure to get the old front bumper back from the body shop.
Since it's a TH bumper, you could probably sell it for around $100 on Ebay, if not more and be out nothing but time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.