Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a radio in their Renegade? I've looked around and haven't found a good thread. I want to install an ICOM ID-880H in my Lat.

For power I will either tap into the fuse block or the 12v outlet in the rear driver's side area.

Antenna, I was thinking I could drill a hole in the back of the roof antenna housing to route the cable, no idea if I can just an idea.

I'll just run the separation cable under the carpet.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Has anyone installed a radio in their Renegade? I've looked around and haven't found a good thread. I want to install an ICOM ID-880H in my Lat.

For power I will either tap into the fuse block or the 12v outlet in the rear driver's side area.

Antenna, I was thinking I could drill a hole in the back of the roof antenna housing to route the cable, no idea if I can just an idea.

I'll just run the separation cable under the carpet.

Any thoughts?
Have not gotten that far down the mod list yet. It's been a few years since I hooked up any ham gear to a vehicle, so will be interested on where this thread goes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm not much for drillng holes anymore. It was okay on the pickup trucks, but today's vehicles are another matter.

Have you considered a glass-mount dual-bander like the Larsen KG-2/70CXPL? It's rated 100w. That would just leave routing the coax internally and running the power connection. Granted, you lose some gain, but may be worth it.

kj4wb

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'd do anything I could to avoid drilling a hole. If you ever want to sell it the new owner probably wouldn't appreciate it, not to mention the corrosion risk.

I have a MySky so there is only limited metal surface to mount a antenna to - I'd probably just snake the coax thru the hatch seal and stick a magnet mount on the roof.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I went simple where getting on the air went.
I just use an HT with a mag mount.
Recently I got a BD-35 amp to pump up my TX a bit more (figured out I could run it from the 12v acc port in the dash, so no wires thru the firewall)

So far it's worked great on FM, D-STAR and C4FM.

I don't want to drill any holes in *this* car (lol)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have 2 USB ports in my Rene - one in the front by the 12v acc port and one under the armrest (it came that way from the factory), so I just plug in the cable and charge....

·
Registered
13 Posts
GM512 have you thought of a fender lip mount? 2 small holes on the inside of the fender that nobody will ever notice should you decide to sell/trade the vehicle. (I assume the fender is metal on these)

The roof antenna housing, is it plastic? Are you planning on mounting the antenna there? If it is plastic I am not sure it would hold up well to having an antenna mounted to it and it would provide no ground plane.

I would also power directly from the battery if at all possible, 2nd choice would be the fuse block, and lastly the power port.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.