Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I open the door panel to fix the handle if I can’t open the door due to the outside handle being broken and child lock being on ?

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade, Latitude, 2.4L 4x4, black, 9 speed automatic, MySky
505 Posts
If I remember correctly, it wouldn't be possible to remove the entire panel with the door shut. That's an unfortunate situation to be in. You could try starting with removing the window switch panel, that gives you a little portal into the interior workings of the door and may give just enough to open the door back up.

There's a screw you have to remove, it's underneath the door grab handle rubber grommet. After, just pry the whole thing around the edges and it'll come out.

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
Youtube has a vid for everything:

But as Jeepatron says, getting it totally off with the door shut is going to be a struggle.

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
As said, there's a YouTube for everything.
Different model, but might give you a hint depending on how bust your outside handle is :

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
How do I open the door panel to fix the handle if I can’t open the door due to the outside handle being broken and child lock being on ?
Many options can be offered on how to gain access to the interior.

Which do you prefer:

Smash the window?

Wait for a locksmith?

Call 911, see item 1.

What scenario are you offering us?

Gimme the "Jaws of Life" :love::love::love:

Smash and grab sounds better.

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
None of those help with getting the door panel off to fix the door handle. Child safety locks won't prevent access to the car as they aren't on the front doors.

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
How about taking the inner panel off the other door and seeing if you can hook the handle mechanism with some garden wire down the outside of the window.

Then repeat with the broken handled door with a bit of luck and skill.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Raz, as the Original poster gives an indication of urgency. Why decry an emergency access procedure that is tried and tested?
Perhaps we read this post differently? BOSS!!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Raz, as the Original poster gives an indication of urgency. Why decry an emergency access procedure that is tried and tested?
Perhaps we read this post differently? BOSS!!!
I think you're missing Raz's point. Child safety locks only prevent the REAR doors from opening from the INSIDE. The OP can still get inside of the car via the front doors. Breaking widows and such won't accomplish anything, there is already access to the inside of the car. The problem is that with the CSL on, you can't open the REAR door from the inside. And without an exterior door handle, it's increasingly difficult to open the door. We all know how much you love to leave your "humorous" remarks... this one happened to miss it's mark.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts