Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When shifting from drive to reverse (say when parallel parking) do you guys get a heavyish clunk? Kind of a hard shift? Not awful but noticeable and not smooth. I'm in a trailhawk.

I'm starting to get a little paranoid as I've had a few very large clunks when downshifting (in drive) when I took my foot off the gas within the last month - one so hard my wife thought we had been hit. It's been driving ok since, but I'm taking it in next week. Yesterday I heard the reverse sound and it's repeatable every time so I'm maybe I'm just nuts. I just want to gather all my information, even though I have ZERO confidence that the dealer will find anything. FWIW, I had the transmission coolant line fall off at 300 miles (now at 13k) at 65mph and they wouldn't replace it but I'm worried I'm beginning to see the repercussions of that incident.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep, I get that on my TH but only first thing in the morning or after it's been parked for a while. If I have to back out of a space I let off the break just a touch so there isn't such a clunk. I also used to get a clunk shifting from 2nd (the transmission starts in 2nd, not 1st 90% of the time) to third but that went away at some point during the first couple thousand miles. I try to let it warm up for a few minutes when I first get in until the RPMs get down closer to 1k, usually helps a lot.

Good luck with the dealer! I just dropped mine off to get some creaking suspension looked at.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I haven't heard of this clunk, but I have heard of a shudder at light throttle (which is considered normal as the transmission fluid moves). If you are able to get it to consistently duplicate, taking it to the dealership is definitely a good move. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Mine does it of I don't let it warm up.. Solution, let it warm up
So the clunk occurs only before the transmission reaches operating temperature?

How do you warm up the transmission without driving the vehicle? With the car sitting with the engine idling, maybe the transmission will get a little warm on Never-Never Day!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.