Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Renegade (Limited)
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, reason I'm starting this is to help out the countless of Renegade owners that couldn't get the direct answer of "which fuse to tap into for continuous power supply so I can run my dashcam 24/7". There are a number of Renegade hardwire dashcam videos/forum threads but tbh...none of them helped me. Maybe this will help where those have failed.

Car: 2016 Jeep Renegade (Limited)
Installing: Vantrue N4 3-Channel Dash Cam (bought it on Amazon)
With: Vantrue Hardwire Installation Kit (fuse tap)
Difficultly Level: ANNOYING A.F
Time Needed: 20-40 mins.

When it comes to camera positioning, tucking wires away, etc. that's all on you. There are other videos/articles/forum threads to get that info

1) under the steering column, remove that rubber gasket looking thing (I don't know the name of it so I'll refer to it as rubber gasket thing).
1.a) move the seat all the way back because you're guna be crammed under there trying to do #2

2) run a steel wire through that hole (like from a wire hanger or fence wire or something along that thickness. not too thin cuz it'll bend but not too thick that it won't slightly bend or rip/break something). I COULDN'T find an article/video explaining this part so my best explanation to this community is run it up there, jiggle it, move it side to side. If it stops going up and it feels like it's stuck, it probably is so keep jiggling it until it goes up (2 to 3 feet).
Tip: this part is easier if someone is looking into the engine compartment because they can see when the wire comes through to the top. If you don't have someone that can notify you, just stick it up as far as it'll go w/o actually sticking it through the hole.

3) tape the wires to the end of that steel wire.

4) pull the wire up through that engine compartment (it'll actually be coming up behind the firewall) so you can have the wires where you need them to be.

5)Connect the black ground wire to...a ground >.>

6) THE MOMENT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR: Disconnect the F10 fuse (Horn). Then connect that fuse to the corresponding fuse tap (the one that has the same connection prongs). Connect the fuse tap back into the fuse box in the "same orientation" that you disconnected the fuse.
6.a) For 2015 Renegade fuse box (pictured), the fuse is a 10amp Red, for a 2016 the fuse is a 15amp Blue. I'm not sure if there are more differences in new Renegades.
6.b) Let me break down what I mean by same orientation installation: The blue "15" amp fuse is installed sideways, meaning if you're looking at it while installed, the 1 is on bottom and 5 is on top. So whatever way you put it into the fuse tap, make sure when you install it the same way back. The 1 is "on bottom" and the 5 "is on top".
6.c) The F10 fuse is in somewhat of a tight/hard to access location so take your time. This part was almost as annoying as step #2 (for me at least)

7) If you have the wires plugged into the dashcam, within a few seconds of plugging the fuse tap into the fuse box, you'll hear the dashcam power on.

8) Put the rubber gasket thing back on somehow, tuck in wires where you see fit, enjoy.

TL.DR: F10 fuse (horn) has continuous power to be used for hardwiring a dashcam for 24/7 surveillance (Parking Mode)

The pictures attached are to help with the general idea of what I've done.

Great Success - Borat

If you need a clarification/picture let me know.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Hi, only yesterday I fitted a new lightbar but keep in mind that I have the righthand drive version.

I read above that you had to pass a wire and jiggle it, move it side to side. If it stops going up and it feels like it's stuck, it probably is so keep jiggling it until it goes up (2 to 3 feet)

Perhaps I could offer some assistance. Included in the link are around 20 pictures of how I passed my cable through the bulkhead. It only had to travel around 8 inches though you could have put your hand inside the location and grabbed a hold of it.

Isn't it always the same that information appears after you do something? Book a holiday, next door your mates wife is a travel agent etc o_O

Click the red link below to the post in our forum ;)

Have a wee look in here

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Renegade (Limited)
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, only yesterday I fitted a new lightbar but keep in mind that I have the righthand drive version.

I read above that you had to pass a wire and jiggle it, move it side to side. If it stops going up and it feels like it's stuck, it probably is so keep jiggling it until it goes up (2 to 3 feet)

Perhaps I could offer some assistance. Included in the link are around 20 pictures of how I passed my cable through the bulkhead. It only had to travel around 8 inches though you could have put your hand inside the location and grabbed a hold of it.

Isn't it always the same that information appears after you do something? Book a holiday, next door your mates wife is a travel agent etc o_O

Click the red link below to the post in our forum ;)

Have a wee look in here
You're right lol I could have used that information. Thank you for the tips nonetheless :)

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Hello, reason I'm starting this is to help out the countless of Renegade owners that couldn't get the direct answer of "which fuse to tap into for continuous power supply so I can run my dashcam 24/7". There are a number of Renegade hardwire dashcam videos/forum threads but tbh...none of them helped me. Maybe this will help where those have failed.

Car: 2016 Jeep Renegade (Limited)
Installing: Vantrue N4 3-Channel Dash Cam (bought it on Amazon)
With: Vantrue Hardwire Installation Kit (fuse tap)
Difficultly Level: ANNOYING A.F
Time Needed: 20-40 mins.

If you need a clarification/picture let me know.
Very good write up, Thanks for sharing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts