Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cars used to have relays between the switches and the headlights. Switches use small high-resistance contact points and without relays the usually undersized wires runs from the battery to the switches to the headlights, resulting in an unnecessary voltage drop and dimmer headlights and in the switch eventually burning out.

This happened to my Audi, which did not have headlight relays, but only a rather expensive light switch. After installing relays, the headlights were noticeably brighter and the switch has not yet broken since.

Car manufacturers widely put away with headlight relays in an effort to pinch pennies and because they can make more money by eventually selling you a new headlight switch.

So I wonder, has anybody here installed headlight relays, and if so, what location did you choose? I am not interested in replies questioning the advantages of having headlight relays.

More about the subject

·
Registered
430 Posts
There are already relays. The lights are turned on and off by the BCM.

I never had a reason to upgrade the wiring. My old Jeep, with an actual switch, loses ~ 500mv between the alternator output and the furthest headlight, with the lights on.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh really, it has relays? I am really surprised FCA didn't cut that corner. Signs and wonders do happen. That will save me a few hours and a few bucks.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I will have to look to confirm. The owners manual doesn't list the relays, or a fuse for the headlights.

And how dumb is it to need a tool to remove the underhood fuse center cover.
Would be great if you can check.

I suppose a snap-on cover might fall off when the road gets rough? To pop the fuse cover off on my Audi, you need either a trim tool or the fingernails of a guitar player. The relays are buried behind the dash kick panel, requiring getting intimate with the vehicle in a physically compromising position and with a screwdriver for 10 minutes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.