Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for guidance on installing an aftermarket rear camera. My main question is what is the best way to run wiring from back to front, which panels are difficult and what to look out for. I am also replacing the head unit stereo with an after market Kenwood and using the maestro RR and harness. So my question on hooking up the camera to the stereo is do I have to run a "trigger" wire back to the backup light or does the maestro/uconnect/canbus tell the head unit when the car is shifted into reverse. 2016 Renegade Sport Base Package, Uconnect 3.0. Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If yours came with a camera, just splice the oem wires in with the new camera. That’s what I’m wanting to do anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It did not come with a camera. Badger's post is a great start, thanks Badger for sharing. The one I'm doing will be hard wired to the aftermarket stereo (head unit), Kenwood DMX7704s. I am installing everything in my daughter's Renegade when I visit her for a week in a couple of months. I won't have a lot of time to solve any issues that come up, so I'm trying to put in the research before I start taking things apart. The one thing I'm not clear on is the trigger that tells the new aftermarket head unit that the vehicle has been put in reverse. Does the canbus talking through the maestro rr, that sends data to the head unit act as the "trigger" that the vehicle is in reverse and to put the camera image on the screen, there is a reverse out wire on the maestro rr that connects to the Kenwood head unit reverse "trigger" wire, OR, do I have to run a wire from the head unit back to the reverse tail light, so when the light comes on it acts as the "trigger"?

·
Registered
681 Posts
OR, do I have to run a wire from the head unit back to the reverse tail light, so when the light comes on it acts as the "trigger"?
Even if the answer to that question is 'no', while running the camera wires run a couple of extra cores alongside. Then when it turns out the answer was wrong it'll be much easier to fix :)
In fact I'd run a couple extra regardless :nerd:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mikeindp, this is a great idea. Now I just hope that getting the wire behind the side panels and under the kick plates won't be too bid of a hassle. My biggest concern is not knowing where all the clips are and accidentally breaking one. Thanks again for the great idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts