Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found this on ebay, and am wondering how straight forward it'd be to swap out the 5" that came in my 2017 Trailhawk so I can have carplay back. I know I'll lose volume control since it doesn't have the knob on the stereo, but I'm fine with that as long as the steering wheel controls work (and I'm guessing the HVAC control panel can be swapped out for the one that has the volume knob as well?)

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
118 Posts
The instructions are still basically the same regardless of which size you're trying to swap out. It's feasible. You just need to either take it to a dealer to have a proxi alignment done so it recognizes the new radio or purchase that AlfaOBD software and do it yourself. I went a different route and swapped in a 10" Android Tablet/Radio, however.

If only, sadly the search only lead me down the rabbit hole of the 8.4" version

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went a different route and swapped in a 10" Android Tablet/Radio, however.
I tried an aftermarket head unit from Alpine previously, but it ended up sticking out from the dash way too far and it didn't work with the stock microphone or USB ports even with the datalink so was going to try to keep it more or less stock parts. Does the one you're using retain all of that? If so what model are you using?

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
118 Posts
No to the stock microphone.
Yes to the USB port (well the AUX port is the only one hooked up to my OEM radio on my 2017 T.H.) I just needed to purchase an adapter.
Yes it sits flush with the dashboard.

This is the radio I purchased from AliExpress I was nervous ordering from there since it was my first time. Took much less than a month. Everything was "plug and play" no splicing of wires or anything like that. The factory harness plugged right in.

·
Registered
2017 Renegade Trailhawk
118 Posts
Yes it comes with one - I guess if you don't have an OEM one they include it. It not only works but also the backup guidelines are still there. I'm very happy with it.
I've had two issues; the blinking odometer which required a proxi alignment and for some strange reason my parking brake automatically engages every time I put the car in park. I'm currently talking to the Engineers via Skype trying to rectify the parking brake issue, and they've been super communicative in trying to resolve this. Even with those two issues, I'm still happy. Carplay and Android Auto and all the other bells and whistles for that amount of $? Can't find anything better, IMHO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts