Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Uconnect 5.0 and I want the 6.5 Uconnect or an aftermarket stereo.

I was told in the beginning I could get Navi on the 5.0 with an "Upgrade" that turned out to be a lie.

I was then told I could upgrade to the 6.5, that was also a lie apparently.

Now, with the Jeep settings within the Uconnect settings going aftermaket is pretty much impossible, ive been told.

What kind of stuff is this? I paid almost 30k for a vehicle I cant even swap out stereos?

The 5.0 is not a terrible system but my plan was always to "upgrade" but now my dreams so far have been squashed.

Bring the happiness back!

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
A little research would have gone a long way. There are basically 2 options for a full blown install. 1) use the stock head unit and hook up a line level system that removes the factory EQ and replace everything form the line level outputs back with your own amps speakers, etc. 2) Don't use the stock head unit, leave it in place, disconnect the speakers, and build a parallel system that runs everything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was not so impressed with the 6.5 w/ Speaker upgrade when I Test drove one, so I considered getting the base radio and upgrading after the purchase. I did some research and ended up test driving again down to car toys. Where 4 guys stood around and shook their heads collectively .. and not in a good way. We concluded it would be best to get the upgraded head unit and I could upgrade speakers if I wanted. The Car Settings function was just too much of an issue. they had some stuff that "may" work with "some" FCA Stuff, but no one (including phone calls to manufacturers) said anything "would work for sure".

Placed my order for a 2016 with UConnect 6.5 Nav with 'Beats Premium Audio' and upgraded speakers.

(edit) I have test drove one with the 6.5 since, and it sound much better, first one may have had bad EQ setting or something.

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
This issue that people have is that you will be unable to change any uconnect settings once the new radio is installed. Metra has has had adapters available since launch but there is currently no way to be able to have an aftermarket radio installed and still modify the uconnect settings.
This may do the trick --- disregard the Crutchfield site as there are cheaper vendors, but just a point of reference:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Rml5fWvAwB5/learn/add-a-great-new-stereo-keep-your-sync-system.html

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would have to email them to get more details but it doesn't appear to allow you to change any of the uconnect settings, just better integration for things like steering wheel controls, voice comands, etc...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I guess I'm missing what uConnect settings I would be missing on the version without Navigation (I have the 5.0 version). What would I be missing?
I have the 5.0 as well and its not "features" like bluetooth or Sirius that would be missing but rather being able to change any of the vehicle settings that are controlled through the radio. Most of the settings you probably only need to change once but should they go back to defaults for some reason, it would be a pain to not be able to change them back.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've been looking into this quite a bit lately.
I've checked aftermarket alternatives using things like the iDataLink Maestro and the Connects2 paired with aftermarket head units.

One thing of interest that i discovered in my searchings:
Our uconnect 5" radio is listed as the RA2.
The 6.5" radio is listed as the RA4.
There are several posts in Ram forums of people upgrading their RA2 5" radios to the RA4 8.4AN radios. Now, I'm not saying we could upgrade from our 5" to the 8.4", but it might be theoretically possible to upgrade to the 6.5"

Some functions don't seem to work (obviously, like the connected apps) and the people who performed the upgrade on their Rams had to get a cell antenna so that one of the "warning messages" for servicing cell connection go away, but it does seem to hold some kind of (although maybe slim) potential.

Although for the cost it will inevitably be, it may just be better to go with something like the connects2 and an aftermarket unit (provided you can maintain all stock functionality).

References:
RamForumz RA2 to RA4 upgrade:
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=180908
Walkthrough starts on page 3

Connects2 for aftermarket headunits (Can't find US dealer):
http://www.connects2.co.uk/ProductInformation.aspx?id=22944&p=CTUJP01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf1y-1NK-Sw

iData Link Maestro (Doesnt officially support the Renegade at the time of this post):
http://maestro.idatalink.com/product/product/product_id/102

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the Uconnect 5.0 and I want the 6.5 Uconnect or an aftermarket stereo.

I was told in the beginning I could get Navi on the 5.0 with an "Upgrade" that turned out to be a lie.

I was then told I could upgrade to the 6.5, that was also a lie apparently.

Now, with the Jeep settings within the Uconnect settings going aftermaket is pretty much impossible, ive been told.

What kind of stuff is this? I paid almost 30k for a vehicle I cant even swap out stereos?

The 5.0 is not a terrible system but my plan was always to "upgrade" but now my dreams so far have been squashed.

Bring the happiness back!
That sucks, I have the 5 also and was planning to upgrade after the holidays. Dealer said it would be no problem....

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you truly want to upgrade to another unit, avoid trying to make the larger Uconnect radio work. Too many quirks. Wait for the proper aftermarket interface to preserve your radio's "settings." (I personally don't care if I ever reset them once they're set) and find something that you like with most of the favorite features you want. You'll be much happier. If you go to a larger Uconnect (even if it's possible)...you'll be horribly disappointed in the performance, sound of the AM, etc. Spend your money with an aftermarket company that may feel they have a responsibility to you spending money....not a "live with it" attitude.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
If you truly want to upgrade to another unit, avoid trying to make the larger Uconnect radio work. Too many quirks. Wait for the proper aftermarket interface to preserve your radio's "settings." (I personally don't care if I ever reset them once they're set) and find something that you like with most of the favorite features you want. You'll be much happier. If you go to a larger Uconnect (even if it's possible)...you'll be horribly disappointed in the performance, sound of the AM, etc. Spend your money with an aftermarket company that may feel they have a responsibility to you spending money....not a "live with it" attitude.

Do people still use AM much.
I don't even use FM any more.
DAB is so much better.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I used to use AM in my old Jeep to listen to baseball games on my way home from work. Was never really good quality, but I didn't expect it to be. I haven't tried it yet in the Renegade. But I won't be upset if it's a little staticky, it's AM.

I use my phone for the most part now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do people still use AM much.
I don't even use FM any more.
DAB is so much better.
I agree. I typically use Sirius for the most part but even if I didn't, i don't think I'd ever expected to get high quality AM broadcasts and wouldn't let that influence any decision of mine.

The only AM news/sports radio that I listen to are available on Sirius.

That being said, and as a follow up to my previous post, it seems that the idatalink maestro would be the best way to integrate a compatible headunit when the time comes that it officially supports the Renegade.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I live in a coastal area with lots of small mountains, valleys, and tall redwoods. The AM/FM comes in handy when sat-radio becomes sporadic.

AND I figure it's a Jeep, so built with proto-survivalists in mind. Just in case, you know, an asteroid or X-class solar flare or alien invasion takes out all of the satellites. At least, that's what I tell folks when they ask why the Renegade has a compass. It's not so much expecting the worst, it's just knowing you're prepared. Part of the brand lifestyle, I guess.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.